Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effect of Tesla Roof on Home A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha, no amount of insulation is enough when it's 105' F (41' C) here in the Central Valley (CA)! I think we officially qualify as a "hot state".

You are misunderstanding the purpose of insulation. It slows the transfer of heat across a barrier with a thermal difference. That's all. The optimal amount can be calculated given your situation, but it is an optimization of cost of insulation versus cost of conditioning.

And yes, 105°F is a lot closer to 68°F than -20°F. Which we have been know to see for weeks at a time. R-60 or so is about optimal around here.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. Air sealing is being neglected here, and is often up to 50% of conditioning losses.

They'd have to be obstinate. The nail would slide off, bounce, not penetrate on the first dozen tries. I bet they couldn't accidentally do it, they'd have to purposefully predrill or tap a starter hole somehow.

Now I'm sure they could scratch the heck out of it, maybe even crack it with the hammer as it slides off the nail and continues to the glass. I just don't think they'll get a roofing nail to penetrate the outer glass and actually puncture through to the next layer.

Ever used a nail gun? I haven't seen a roofing contractor using a hammer in almost a decade.

Ever used a nail gun? I haven't seen a roofing contractor using a hammer in almost a decade.

Ever read the whole thread before replying? This was covered in post #22 where I said

"I'm sure that a high powered nail gun can split a tile no problem, I'm not sure that everyone or even some are going to use nail guns to install solar tiles."

THE ROOF FORUM: Hand Nail, Nail Guns, or Staples (from 2010)

What hammers do you use on the roof? (from 2013)

as in some roofers swear that hand nailing is the only way to go. Read those or any newer content. There is a strong opinion held by some portion of the industry that you shouldn't use a nail gun to roof a house.

and even if somehow a roofer preferred a nail gun to the hammer, I think he'd think twice when it comes to multi-thousand dollar solar installations that are obviously different than asphalt shingles.

Last edited: