Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Effects of charging on home service voltage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
While doing some of my investigation work behind the HPWC failure, I pulled my data records for voltage as seen on my 6 kVA UPS, and it turns out that things have been running "hot" enough (voltage-wise) to put the UPS's into "trim" mode, where they're cutting down the voltage. This may be a contributing cause to the failure of the HPWC.

I sample my voltage at the UPS inputs once per minute, so I have a fairly granular record of what my home voltage looks like. More importantly, I can show you what happens to the service voltage as heavy loads are put onto the system.

Here's a graph of the voltage as seen over the past 18 hours or so, along with a 3-hour moving average (in orange) - unfortunately, the granularity of my UPS measurement is limited by the UPS communications protocol in use. As you can see, we're running pretty hot - averaging between 251 and 254V when the cars aren't charging; the power company is coming out today to take a look. My home load really isn't changing overnight, but you can see the effects that other places around me (a good chunk of them farms) have, beginning at 4 am or so.

You can see that charging the Model X (69-70A) tends to drop the voltage from just over 252 down to 250 or so, and adding the Model S load to that (another 80A) drops it to around 246.5 or so.

Untitled.png

I have 400A service, with 2 independent HPWC's. One is attached via a separate 100A connection to lugs in the base of the meter, one is attached as a 100A feeder from my 200A grid-only service panel that feeds various non-critical loads in my home. Transformer is approximately 75 feet from the service entrance, using 350 kcmil compact conductors.

(Yes, I know you can calculate this fairly easily with Ohm's law and some approximations of ohms per foot given your service conductor size and distance from transformer, but I figured some empirical evidence would be interesting.)

Last edited: