Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency: 2018 LR RWD vs 2022 LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious - has there been an improvement in the motor efficiency over the years?

I had a 2018 LR RWD with a lifetime average of 257 Wh/mi over ~60k miles. It was in an accident and I replaced it in the fall with a 2022 LR AWD. I expected with AWD that efficiency would drop a bit, but it's actually been better. My average so far has been 252 Wh/mi, but that has mostly been over the winter. Now that it's warmed up outside, I'm getting 200-210 Wh/mi on my morning commute, while I would get 220-230 with my old car. It's a nice improvement, but I'm wondering if I just got a lucky car of if there has been some equipment change over the years.

I'm curious - has there been an improvement in the motor efficiency over the years?

I had a 2018 LR RWD with a lifetime average of 257 Wh/mi over ~60k miles. It was in an accident and I replaced it in the fall with a 2022 LR AWD. I expected with AWD that efficiency would drop a bit, but it's actually been better. My average so far has been 252 Wh/mi, but that has mostly been over the winter. Now that it's warmed up outside, I'm getting 200-210 Wh/mi on my morning commute, while I would get 220-230 with my old car. It's a nice improvement, but I'm wondering if I just got a lucky car of if there has been some equipment change over the years.
Hard to say really, since my 2018 LR-AWD seemed pretty efficient. Lifetime about 255Wh/mile, and when measured by ABRP at 65mph, it averaged 235Wh/mile.

I noticed my previous 2022 LR AWD did about 220 Wh/mile. When I drove a 2019 LR RWD, the best I could do was 250 Wh/mile. Not sure what contributed to this 10%+ improvement in efficiency. Wonder what efficiency would look like in an early LR AWD.

I noticed my previous 2022 LR AWD did about 220 Wh/mile. When I drove a 2019 LR RWD, the best I could do was 250 Wh/mile. Not sure what contributed to this 10%+ improvement in efficiency.
same wheels? Same tires? same temperature? Those are the biggest variables.

The motor could be more efficient, the power electronics for the motor more efficient, the algorithm for regeneration more efficient, the algorithm for powering the poles in the motor more efficient (less eddy current waste), and the computer could consume less power on average.

Also, if you used any heat that's big difference as the newer ones have heat pump and the old did not.

same wheels? Same tires? same temperature? Those are the biggest variables.

The motor could be more efficient, the power electronics for the motor more efficient, the algorithm for regeneration more efficient, the algorithm for powering the poles in the motor more efficient (less eddy current waste), and the computer could consume less power on average.

Also, if you used any heat that's big difference as the newer ones have heat pump and the old did not.

Same wheels, similar tires, lower temperature (so less use of AC), but tire pressure may be different. Software is more up-to-date on the RWD. Guessing the drivetrain improved over the past 3 years.

Its the motors, inverters, battery, wiring, and internal computers. All of those have become more efficient over the years. Tesla released a video showing that the internal screen has not only gotten brighter with more color accuracy, but it uses less energy and is cheaper for them to produce. They are doing these type of upgrades all over the vehicle.

I went from a 2018 LR RWD to a 2022 Performance and my efficiency is better on the Performance when on 18s, and just a tiny bit worse when on the 20s. Insane what Tesla has been able to do over the years.

Last edited:
I had a 2019? M3MR (RWD) as a service loaner during the winter and I was blown away how much less efficient it was than our 2022 M3LR. It was averaging >350wh/mi on my partner’s 90mi/70mph commute, whereas our 22 M3LR would get 310-330wh/mi in the same conditions. Only thing I could figure is that it was sub-freezing (both efficiency numbers stated are for sub-freezing temps) and the PTC heater just used that much more energy than the heat pump. The loaner also had 19” ‘Sport’ wheels and OEM tires whereas our LR has the Aeros and OEM tires. The AWD penalty on Model 3 seems to be fairly minimal. Wish I could say the same for my Ioniq5…

I had a 2019? M3MR (RWD) as a service loaner during the winter and I was blown away how much less efficient it was than our 2022 M3LR. It was averaging >350wh/mi on my partner’s 90mi/70mph commute, whereas our 22 M3LR would get 310-330wh/mi in the same conditions. Only thing I could figure is that it was sub-freezing (both efficiency numbers stated are for sub-freezing temps) and the PTC heater just used that much more energy than the heat pump. The loaner also had 19” ‘Sport’ wheels and OEM tires whereas our LR has the Aeros and OEM tires. The AWD penalty on Model 3 seems to be fairly minimal. Wish I could say the same for my Ioniq5

Resistive heaters are giant energy hogs, 5000W is easy typical power drain on a high setting, so in a 60 kWh car that can be close to 10% per hour.

I had a resistive on my BMW i3 and even in mild cold conditions (San Diego!) using it would reduce the small range very quickly. I almost never used it, seat heaters only.

The 22 M3LR is very efficient. I get equal or better efficiency in my than I did on my i3 even though I drive faster on highway and use AC/HVAC all the time.

• Informative
Reactions: MattChristian
Just to add a side note...

The European (made in China) model 3 long range RWD just received a WLTP range certification of 691km / 430 miles!

This car I equipped with the net 79,5kWh LG M50 NMC pack and was tested with the 3D6 DU CAT 2 Performance Motor (Hairpin stator).

This battery pack will now be used in selected M3/MY in the US as well.