Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency Drop after 2020.12.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice a significant drop in efficiency after the latest 2020.12.5 update? I used to get 90-95% efficiency on my drive to and from work and now it has dropped to 70-75%, even in similar weather conditions (60-70F) and same driving patterns (mostly highway driving at 65-70mph with cruise and autopilot on and no ac or heater use, just seat warmer). I use Teslafi to track efficiency. I wonder if this is due to the dashcam/ sentry mode playback feature which could somehow use more power to organize and allow the clips to be watched at any time?

The 20-25% drop in efficiency is too much just to have the capability of watching the videos on the car's screen, I rather continue using the app on my phone and get this efficiency back.

Anyone else notice a significant drop in efficiency after the latest 2020.12.5 update? I used to get 90-95% efficiency on my drive to and from work and now it has dropped to 70-75%, even in similar weather conditions (60-70F) and same driving patterns (mostly highway driving at 65-70mph with cruise and autopilot on and no ac or heater use, just seat warmer). I use Teslafi to track efficiency. I wonder if this is due to the dashcam/ sentry mode playback feature which could somehow use more power to organize and allow the clips to be watched at any time?

The 20-25% drop in efficiency is too much just to have the capability of watching the videos on the car's screen, I rather continue using the app on my phone and get this efficiency back.

So your position is that the MCU takes your energy usage from something like 250 Whr/mi to ~300 Whr/mi. Let's assume that you commute at 60MPH and so had a power consumption of around 15 kW. You're now saying you're using 18 kW. So this process that you've decided is running now is using 3 kW of power... Does this really seem reasonable to you? That there is a 3kW computer in your car that is doing a process to "organize and allow the clips to be watched at any time" (which involves reading a directory and playing a file on your USB drive only when you request it to). 3 kW of power is in the range used by slightly small water heater, or ~2 ton AC unit by the way.

My efficiency is fine.

Car won't go to sleep though.

If it’s a possible calculation issue, have to ask if you rebooted after the firmware load. Many do not and so many glitches are fixed by it.

Probably a very silly question but how do you "reboot" the car?

Occar, thanks for the informative breakdown, my thought process was definitely not reasonable. I was just shocked to see such a decrease in efficiency.

Now that i think about it further it has been somewhat windy the last few days so more drag on the car when driving and hence less efficiency I assume.

My efficiency has been terrible since the shelter-in-place order. Every (small) trip I take I'm gunning it more, accelerating harder, driving faster, and simply enjoying what an empty road feels like :). We don't get a lot of days like this in SoCal. Weekends are often worse than weekdays. Is it possible you're experiencing some of the same? Even if you're driving the same speeds, fewer cars means fewer people to draft behind.

Probably a very silly question but how do you "reboot" the car?
Not too silly as it's been asked many times around here. The short answer is: RTFM. The more helpful answer is: press and hold both steering wheel scroll buttons in until the Tesla logo shows up on the screen (takes about 30 seconds). This reboots the system and seems to "fix" many problems associated with issues or bugs seen just after a software update has taken place.

Yes, I, along with others, have seen a significant efficiency drop after 2020.12.5 update. I have tried reboot the car several times with no improvement. I and in the process of re-calibrating the battery (full to near empty charge).