TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Efficiency during trip

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by guyG, Sep 5, 2017.

1. guyG

guyG Member

I own my Model X since 2 months now, and the car is great. Even towing a glider trailer of 1300 kg and 12 m long the range is acceptable (35% reduction of range, driving slower than usual)

I experience on long trips (without trailer) that the energy efficiency is much lesser in the beginning of a trip (due to warming of the batteries?).

But the energy efficiency is increasing very slowly during the first 40-50 km.

Does other people observe the same ?

I am looking forward for your input.

guyG (Belgium)

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

When I go on a trip, I almost always set the charging to end just before I start driving, so generally the reduced efficiency comes after a Supercharge when the battery needs to cool. Note that if it's cold out, using range mode to let the battery warm up without extra heating input helps. When it's hot out don't use range mode.

• Informative x 1
  3. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Not that it gets cold here in Perth but yes the energy consumption is higher for me at the start of the journey. It's the HVAC heater for me but as the cabin reaches temp then the running average lowers to normal. Normal for me is in the low 200's/km, however, on the highway at 110kph and climate on my average is closer to 250Wh/km. My lifetime after 7200kms is 243Wh/km. If it is raining and windy then I would need to budget closer to 300Wh/km for a longer journey.

I can get in the 150-160Wh/km driving around the city without climate.

My 100% rated is 567kms (569kms new)and typical is 454kms (455kms new) and I would get closer to 400kms real world range of highway/country driving with moderate weather conditions. Haven't towed yet other than my bike rack.

Range mode enabled.

• Informative x 1