Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency LR AWD vs P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order on LR AWD, after reading a bit on the internet it seems the efficiency for LR AWD is almost the same as P3D.

With the latest price reductions, giving up the red color for black I can get P3D for only $5000 extra.
I am tempted to change my order to P3D, what do you think?

I took the LR AWD because of the initial price difference and hope for better efficiency, can someone confirm the real efficiency difference between them?

They're the exact same battery and motors. The P is software unlocked for more power, but your right foot determines if you use it or not. Only other thing impacting efficiency are the wheels/tires, with the current sticky-tire and heavy 20s on the P hurting you there.

With 18" standard wheels on our AWD, we can usually exceed rated Wh/km when we exercise discretion with the accelerator and cruise at 68 mph/110 km/hr or less. Cold weather, using heater excessively, climbing, and headwinds are exceptions of course. I don't think the P with its 20" performance tires can do that based on reports here; you need to decide whether range or cornering/braking performance is your priority.

Reactions: mswlogo
16k miles since August in my AWD w/aero wheels.
I do about 85% of my driving with AP engaged and 78 in the speedbox. I am averaging 257 watts/mile.

This also includes a few trips to the mountains with my mountain bike hanging off the back of the car. I think the lost efficiency in the winter washes out with the bike carrying in the summer though.

I estimate my 100,000 mile average will sit around 255

• Informative
Reactions: V__2
i'd say the non P is a hair more efficient but they're more or less very similar. I had the sport 20's on a DM non P and it was averaging 279 kwh. The P is settling in at around 290 so far.

The non P and P dual motor are exactly the same efficiency with the same Wheels and Tires. I think your post almost proves that ;)

My P with Aero's is doing 272 wh/mi for 5000 miles (4 months winter, 1 month fall), that's with a pretty light foot most of the time.
I expect to hit 230 wh/mi come spring (and I did the first month I had it in October).

I've had the heat off lately because it had not been brutally cold and been getting around 220 wh/mi on my no highway commute to work for the last couple weeks.

You cannot put Aero's on a new P+ though. But you can find more efficient wheels and tires than the OEM 20's and get fairly close.