TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Efficiency Miser Mode

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by brianman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Nov 10, 2011
    #1 brianman, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    Moved from another thread so that I don't take it too much off-topic.

An elementary algorithm would be fairly simple to write. In fact, if the SDK allows us to create things like "custom valet mode" I'll probably write it.

My closest approximation (so far) to this algorithm has been to set the Cruise Control to 51mph and manually apply throttle to reach up to 70 mph while maintaining consumption at or below 40 kW. When approaching 65mph, I start tapering off so that I don't hit the regen cap when going downhill -- which would require applying brakes or going above the 70mph limit of the speed target range.

Features needed from SDK to implement "Efficiency Miser Mode, V1":
    1. Read/write app settings in the form of 4 integers in the ranges: [0-130], [0-320], [0-60], and [0-60].
    2. Read/write app setting in the form of a boolean.
    3. Set the cruise control speed target.
    4. Set Power Consumption limit.
    5. Set Regeneration Rate limit.
    6. Sample the current vehicle speed.
  2. MarkR

MarkR Member

Mar 24, 2012
    N. Scottsdale, AZ
    This is an awesome idea. I want it . . . and I want a 'valet mode.'
  3. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Burlington, Vermont
    This is a great idea. I've been doing something similar (manually) while driving hilly Interstate 89 in Vermont. One step further would be to have it keep an eye on the delta of the current battery range and the miles-to-destination (on the NAV), and modifying the energy saving algorithm if necessary to assure safe arrival.

There should also be a minimum speed setting for highway travel, which might include automatic activation of 4-way flashers when minimums are crossed.
  4. Bonlaw

Bonlaw Member

May 26, 2013
    Orange County, Ca
    "Efficiency Miser Mode" = My Husband.
    Our Wh rate is very different. Obtaining the Tesla Grin is achieved in many different ways.
  5. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Yes, an energy-efficient cruise control is an addition that I'd love to see. I try to do this manually as well which (in the absence of forward-looking terrain radar) allows me to use a little extra power to speed up a bit before a hill starts, thus building up a reserve of energy and not having to slow down as much on the actual hill. The two key conditions for me to do this are fairly empty roads and not being late or in a hurry.

Then again, my average energy use on real-life highway trips is more like 365 Wh/mile, so it's obvious I only meet those conditions once in a while... :-D
  6. J-Philipp

J-Philipp Member

May 4, 2013
    Senlis (France)
    #6 J-Philipp, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Brianman your idea of an energy efficient cruise control mode is great. Needed. As for now the MS CC is far too aggressive at chasing the speed target.
    When you come to fuel efficiency here's what aircrafts manufacturers implement :
    E.g Airbus : image.jpg Your algorithm seems even more elaborate, though.