Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficiency stats at 11k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ticked over 11k miles after >14 months of ownership. I've got a bit of a heavy foot and many of those miles are fun drives in the local mountains.

I'll normally drive ~40 miles a day going to work and back, food shopping or stopping for take-out.
Weekends usually consists of driving ~100 miles a day.

Mileage: 11,081
Efficiency: 248 Wh/mi average

MY_eff_11k.jpg

What do the wh/mi numbers mean, translated to say, mpg? I have no idea whether or not I’m driving efficiently, around 260-270wh/mi. I’ve had my MY for about a month now.
That's hard to equate to miles per gallon, since gallons of gasoline and gas engines' use of that is so very different. But for wh/mi, here's how to use that:

First off, miles per gallon is distance over energy, so higher is more efficient, right? In Europe, they use one that is the inverse of that, which is liters per 100 kilometers. That's a consumption figure of energy per distance, so lower is more efficient. That's how the wh/mi is. It's amount of energy per distance, so lower wh/mi is more efficient. I can't remember what the EPA ratings levels were for that, but upper 200's is about right. Higher numbers are using more energy and lower numbers are using less energy.

What do the wh/mi numbers mean, translated to say, mpg? I have no idea whether or not I’m driving efficiently, around 260-270wh/mi. I’ve had my MY for about a month now.
At first the Wh/mile metric can be confusing. If you invert the Wh/mile result, i.e. 1/kWh/mile you get the number of miles you can travel per kWh of electricity. Example: 1/.260kWh/mile = 3.8 miles per kWh. For reference 250Wh/mile is 4 miles per kWh which can be difficult to achieve in mixed city and highway driving using the climate control heat or air conditioning. The Tesla range estimate uses ~238Wh/mi or 4.2 miles per kWh. A lifetime result of 270Wh/mile (3.7 miles per kWh) is not unusual; some report higher or lower but 270 Wh/mi seems to be fairly common.

There is approximately 33.7 kWh equivalent energy in 1 gallon of gasoline. If you multiply your result, i.e. 3.7 miles per kWh X 33.7 kWh you get a 124.7 mile per gallon equivalent. This does not consider charging overhead as charging efficiency can range from 80% up to 95% depending on the charging voltage (120V or 240V).

If you swipe left at the bottom of the main Tesla display the trip odometer and energy usage will be displayed. If you then swipe up multiple times you will be able to view Current Trip, Since Last Charge, Trip A and finally Trip B. Many Tesla owners rename Trip B to be Lifetime and never reset this readout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
I’m 4200 miles in and my average is 300wh/mi.

I also drove consistently 85mph on highway and have lots of short trips and aggressive 30-80mph accelerations.

Overall I’m very satisfied. 3.3 miles per KWh is still 1/2 of the cost of gas and if charged at work, 1/8the cost.

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
More data is always helpful, so here you go:

MYLR, June '21, 19" Wheels, OEM Tires, Telsa Roof Rack Permanently Installed, Tow Hitch
Half of mileage around town, half long trips from MD to OH, Try to keep to 65-70 on highways, Chill Mode
8900K Miles, 251 Wh/mile

Winter has caused lifetime to creep up from 247 Wh/mile, but I'm still able to do trip to Ohio with just one charge half-way.

I’m amazed at some of these numbers. I’ve had my MYP for 3 months (3k miles) and I’m at 330 Wh/ Mi. It’s gotten cold the last 6 weeks and that has ticked up from 320 in early October. When I make a 20-25 mile trip I’m usually under 300 and the few longer trips (75-100 miles) I have been in the 270-280 range. I did a round trip to Boston (500 miles) last week and it was 350 for the trip. It was 30 degrees, snowing, I was climbing some mountains and traveling at 80mph. So, I guess that really effects the numbers….

Most of my driving is 7-10 mile trip and I’m usually at 310-330 for those. How do you get these crazy numbers? Are you drivIng slow? I’m enjoying the acceleration but there is a part of me that wants to get better efficiency. It really doesn’t matter as I only drive 20-30 miles a day but for some reason I’m fascinated with having the car be more efficient….but not the expense of me flooring it some.

The idea of having it at 250 amazes me, haven’t gotten close to that…ever. My guess is spring and summer will bring better efficiency but who knows.

Reactions: Daekwan
I’m amazed at some of these numbers. I’ve had my MYP for 3 months (3k miles) and I’m at 330 Wh/ Mi. It’s gotten cold the last 6 weeks and that has ticked up from 320 in early October. When I make a 20-25 mile trip I’m usually under 300 and the few longer trips (75-100 miles) I have been in the 270-280 range. I did a round trip to Boston (500 miles) last week and it was 350 for the trip. It was 30 degrees, snowing, I was climbing some mountains and traveling at 80mph. So, I guess that really effects the numbers….

Most of my driving is 7-10 mile trip and I’m usually at 310-330 for those. How do you get these crazy numbers? Are you drivIng slow? I’m enjoying the acceleration but there is a part of me that wants to get better efficiency. It really doesn’t matter as I only drive 20-30 miles a day but for some reason I’m fascinated with having the car be more efficient….but not the expense of me flooring it some.

The idea of having it at 250 amazes me, haven’t gotten close to that…ever. My guess is spring and summer will bring better efficiency but who knows.
To improve your efficiency you have to fully precondition the Model Y, while plugged in before driving, especially in the A.M. Short trips without preconditioning are not as efficient.

Are you still running on the 21" wheels, tires that came with the PMY? The 21" are quite a bit heavier than the 19" or 20" wheels. Here is a chart of the relative efficiency of the 19", 20" and 21" wheels on the Model Y.

Range loss with the different wheel options

If you are serious about maximizing your driving efficiency don't drive 80 MPH. 70 MPH is much more efficient.

Tesla Range Plotted Relative To Speed & Temperature (Graphs)

Last edited:
To improve your efficiency you have to fully precondition the Model Y, while plugged in before driving, especially in the A.M. Short trips without preconditioning are not as efficient.

Are you still running on the 21" wheels, tires that came with the PMY? The 21" are quite a bit heavier than the 19" or 20" wheels. Here is a chart of the relative efficiency of the 19", 20" and 21" wheels on the Model Y.

Range loss with the different wheel options

If you are serious about maximizing your driving efficiency don't drive 80 MPH. 70 MPH is much more efficient.

Tesla Range Plotted Relative To Speed & Temperature (Graphs)
Always pre conditioned the car, every morning for 7:15 departure. I am running the 21’s w Michelin all seasons.

It’s the around town driving (80% of what I do) where I just don’t get good efficiency. When I drive on the local highways around the tri state the numbers are great. The highways around NYC are so congested you rarely get above 70 so the efficiency on those trips was 260-280. At some point I will swap the 21’s for 19’s but I don’t need the efficiency, I’m just amazed at some folks numbers. I just can’t imagine getting to 250….ever. How does someone do that? Is it all highway at 55-60, sunny and dry?

Always pre conditioned the car, every morning for 7:15 departure. I am running the 21’s w Michelin all seasons.

It’s the around town driving (80% of what I do) where I just don’t get good efficiency. When I drive on the local highways around the tri state the numbers are great. The highways around NYC are so congested you rarely get above 70 so the efficiency on those trips was 260-280. At some point I will swap the 21’s for 19’s but I don’t need the efficiency, I’m just amazed at some folks numbers. I just can’t imagine getting to 250….ever. How does someone do that? Is it all highway at 55-60, sunny and dry?
Probably flatlanders, i.e. Florida and Illinois. If you drive the speed limit, limit the use of climate control (HVAC fan only, seat and steering wheel heaters only in cold weather while dressing warmly you can get the Wh/mi below 200 Wh/mi.

My 2020 LRMY with 19" wheels, lifetime at 268 Wh/mi although currently seeing 285 Wh/mi mostly due to using the climate control cabin heating. I have driven short trips, in spring, where the Wh/mi was ~243 Wh/mi but not very often.

Reactions: Terpslax
No mountains but plenty of hills, especially on the north shore. Sangamore Hill in Oyster Bay is where Teddy Roosevelt had a home; elevation 164 feet. The south shore is flatter.
I’m on the South Shore/ Nassau County, pretty flat here…

I will be curious to see what April to Sept brings. When consciously monitoring my driving I could get to 290-300 (on some local drives) in Sept/ Oct but I just have no idea how people get these low numbers (220-250). Tires maybe? Maybe I drive too fast? Again, it doesn’t matter for me in any important way…it’s kind of become a little game I’m playing; trying to get that low number. Maybe I just need to get a life.

Reactions: Pianewman
I’m on the South Shore/ Nassau County, pretty flat here…

I will be curious to see what April to Sept brings. When consciously monitoring my driving I could get to 290-300 (on some local drives) in Sept/ Oct but I just have no idea how people get these low numbers (220-250). Tires maybe? Maybe I drive too fast? Again, it doesn’t matter for me in any important way…it’s kind of become a little game I’m playing; trying to get that low number. Maybe I just need to get a life.
Switching to 19" wheels, tires from the 21" wheels can help improve your efficiency by as much as ~14%; reducing your speed by even 5 MPH can result in ~10% improvement in driving efficiency.

Terpslax: I agree with your sentiment...my Wh/Mi interest is simple curiosity. I don't have range anxiety on the road trips I've taken, and a stop every 120-180miles (Supercharger) is fine with me...and my back...and my...oh, never mind.

My best Wh/Mi while on a road trip was NOT on flat or gentle hill highways, but rather in the Rockies: Denver-Aspen-Alamosa. 245Wh/Mi after that leg, even up and over Independence Pass. If I gently cruised UP, w/o aggressive passing, etc. I'd recover a good bit of electricity coming back down.

Maybe this is why our CA Tesla owners have impressive Wh/Mi averages, if they're going in/out of the mountains?

Reactions: Terpslax
Terpslax: I agree with your sentiment...my Wh/Mi interest is simple curiosity. I don't have range anxiety on the road trips I've taken, and a stop every 120-180miles (Supercharger) is fine with me...and my back...and my...oh, never mind.

My best Wh/Mi while on a road trip was NOT on flat or gentle hill highways, but rather in the Rockies: Denver-Aspen-Alamosa. 245Wh/Mi after that leg, even up and over Independence Pass. If I gently cruised UP, w/o aggressive passing, etc. I'd recover a good bit of electricity coming back down.

Maybe this is why our CA Tesla owners have impressive Wh/Mi averages, if they're going in/out of the mountains?
Another factor is wind. If you had even a sight tail wind this would skew the results. The only truly accurate result would be obtained from a round trip, the same day with similar temperature, road and traffic conditions.