Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficient Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have driven my m3 for about 2000 miles so far (and loving every mile of it) with a cumulative energy efficiency of 230 Wh/mile. If the same car had a gasoline engine with a typical 35% thermal efficiency, 230 Wh/mile would translate to 50.7 mpg. That shows how impressive is Tesla's design as far as aerodynamic and road losses are concerned. I wish the car also displayed the 'instantaneous' or marginal (maybe averaged over every mile) efficiency (in addition to the cumulative efficiency). Putting the car on cruise control at 65, 70, and 75 mph on a flat freeway could then help us evaluate the environmental (and financial, although minor) cost of speeding for every 5 mph increase in speed on the freeway.

I have driven my m3 for about 2000 miles so far (and loving every mile of it) with a cumulative energy efficiency of 230 Wh/mile. If the same car had a gasoline engine with a typical 35% thermal efficiency, 230 Wh/mile would translate to 50.7 mpg. That shows how impressive is Tesla's design as far as aerodynamic and road losses are concerned. I wish the car also displayed the 'instantaneous' or marginal (maybe averaged over every mile) efficiency (in addition to the cumulative efficiency). Putting the car on cruise control at 65, 70, and 75 mph on a flat freeway could then help us evaluate the environmental (and financial, although minor) cost of speeding for every 5 mph increase in speed on the freeway.
You get a rough estimate in the little energy efficiency line at least.

I think the graph will show up in version 9.