Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficient long drives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vostok

Jul 1, 2017
Sydney
G’day - we did this drive recently and I was very impressed - we finished at roughly the same altitude we started at, so it’s not like we just went downhill :D A decent amount of this trip was driving at freeway speeds.

83836E66-45A5-472C-8D94-1582265626EA.jpeg

In comparison, the lifetime efficiency achieved in my Nissan Leaf is 142 Wh/km, very little of which is driving at freeway speeds.

Reactions: strykeroz
Impressive.
What speeds on the freeway?
EVs are oddly different from the petrol ones in that they are LESS efficient on the freeway (at or gently above 110km/h) than they are in slower light traffic.
I get 150Wh/km overall, but use 160+ when travelling on the freeway...

View attachment 549067
This was my most efficient drive with the Model S Raven: 614.6 km at 138 Wh/km.
I now have over 10k km on the Raven odometer and average lifetime consumption is 158 Wh/km.
The average lifetime consumption for the 2015 M S was 178 Wh /km

Great to see an experienced owner that's got some kilometres under their belt in both a early model S and a Raven model S. Would the fairly different energy consumptions be an accurate indicator or could the fact your early model S did a lot of country driving in Queensland increase the gap?

I recently did a 700km round trip Canberra-Wollongong-Canberra over 3 days in my Model 3.
My overall efficiency was 131wh/km. Most of the driving was on the highway with AutoPilot. I was doing 90 km in the 110 km zone.

This was the first road trip on my new Model 3.
On my way to Wollongong supercharged at Goulburn as I was not sure about the range.

Did not bother to supercharge at Goulburn on my way back. It is a shame that Wollongong does not have a supercharger.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Reactions: Vostok
Great to see an experienced owner that's got some kilometres under their belt in both a early model S and a Raven model S. Would the fairly different energy consumptions be an accurate indicator or could the fact your early model S did a lot of country driving in Queensland increase the gap?
I don't think that the country driving in QLD increased the gap. The Raven really uses energy in a more efficient manner.

I recently did a 700km round trip Canberra-Wollongong-Canberra over 3 days in my Model 3.
My overall efficiency was 131wh/km. Most of the driving was on the highway with AutoPilot. I was doing 90 km in the 110 km zone.

This was the first road trip on my new Model 3.
On my way to Wollongong supercharged at Goulburn as I was not sure about the range.

Did not bother to supercharge at Goulburn on my way back. It is a shame that Wollongong does not have a supercharger.

View attachment 549082 View attachment 549082
Impressive! How much did you have left in the battery, also considering that you must have lost some range due to phantom drain?

This was my most efficient drive with the Model S Raven: 614.6 km at 138 Wh/km.
I now have over 10k km on the Raven odometer and average lifetime consumption is 158 Wh/km.
The average lifetime consumption for the 2015 M S was 178 Wh /km
Yep, my P85DL and P90D averaged about 171Wh/km over 44 000km
The Raven (P100D, as it were) I have now averages 150, over 11 000. Bloody excellent

Did not bother to supercharge at Goulburn on my way back. It is a shame that Wollongong does not have a supercharger
I hear you! I do a LOT of driving in Wollongong, and when I head there from Queanbeyan in my Model 3 SR+, I do a quick boost at Chargefox North Goulburn Gateway (generally I unplug as soon as it slows to 40kW), and then a 93% charge at NRMA Mittagong RSL (which maxes out at 40kW).

NRMA Picton is faster (it maxes out at 43kW) but Picton and Mount Ousley Roads are boring compared to Macquarie Pass. That said, Macquarie Pass is way more fun uphill. Also, it's a far longer detour to get into Picton when your destination is Wollongong.

Once I'm down the escarpment, there's no decent charging. The only half-decent ones are 3-phase AC at Warrawong Jax Tyres, Figtree Grove Shopping Centre, and Wollongong Central Shopping Centre. Only the latter isn't BYO cable! Speaking of Type 1, avoid Shellharbour Square, as it's single-phase, and both its Tesla Destination Chargers are faulty (one keeps cycling between 0-4kW and the other won't begin charging at all), so you need your trusty Type 1 converter, the ChargePoint app, and a lot of spare time!

There's the 50kW DC charger at Fairy Meadow I Campus, but the University didn't do its research before buying it, as they bought the model with the CCS Type 1 plug. It's a pity they won't just swap it out with a CCS Type 2 plug, but since the car they installed it for uses CHAdeMO, I doubt they'll bother.

It'll be so much nicer once the Chargefox 350kW ultra-rapid at Shell Cove Woolworths opens. It's been finished for months. I'm not sure what the current excuse is. Coin toss whether it's the lack of mobile data reception in the basement, or some ongoing dispute with the power company's Level 2 electricians.

I prefer not to use superchargers if there are alternatives. Better to support local businesses like Chargefox and Evie (even though Evie is a tiny bit more expensive) that buy and install Australian chargers (Tritium chargers are made in QLD) and that appear to be making more of an effort to cover more territory than Tesla's lethargic supercharger rollout.

Besides, you can at least get a cuppa and use the bathroom at Chargefox Goulburn, and you can wander across the street to McDonalds. You can't do any of the above at the Goulburn Supercharger. Besides, Tesla's penchant for installing superchargers at wineries that only open a few hours a day irritates me no end. Clubs and long-hours fast food places are way better. Both the NRMA chargers at Mittagong and Picton are also next door to McRestaurants. NRMA Berry is a little desolate at the bowling club, but at least the bowling club is way more convenient to Wollongong than some winery 10km south of town, and it's open better hours too.

Last edited:
Tesla's lethargic supercharger rollout

I think 'lethargic' is being kind. Aforementioned wineries, underground locations with limited access, Superchargers 'coming soon' for years (eg Lakes Entrance, Traralgon). I realise that current government attitudes to public charging infrastructure are not exactly encouraging and that we aren't a massive market but I think Tesla could be more proactive and develop a more aggressive rollout schedule aimed at the needs of travelers.
Also all the current charge operators need to get together with government and try to solve the issue of remote area charging infrastructure. Good post-covid19 project.

I’m incredibly happy that NRMA is busy pathfinding in regional areas.

(I’m visiting Moree next week, and their Gunnedah site will be handy. It’s unfortunate there isn’t one in Moree itself, but one of the motels there has a destination charger. If I’m still anxious, I’ll find a truck and draft, on autopilot, at its minimum following distance).

Once one or two Tritium 50kW stalls at some random town aren’t enough, and you see constant queueing in the PlugShare app, it becomes obvious that someone with money should come in and install for-profit ultra-rapids - presumably at a nearby highway roadhouse.

I maintain my full NRMA membership, despite Tesla roadside, and despite membership not currently being a requirement, as a matter of principle.

Agreed on the wineries thing.
Maybe half a dozen times I’ve arrived at Cassegrains about 30 seconds after the kitchen closes, and another half a dozen times it’s been just me and Cassegrains ghost sharing a pitch black night in woods.

I’m incredibly happy that NRMA is busy pathfinding in regional areas.

(I’m visiting Moree next week, and their Gunnedah site will be handy. It’s unfortunate there isn’t one in Moree itself, but one of the motels there has a destination charger. If I’m still anxious, I’ll find a truck and draft, on autopilot, at its minimum following distance).

Once one or two Tritium 50kW stalls at some random town aren’t enough, and you see constant queueing in the PlugShare app, it becomes obvious that someone with money should come in and install for-profit ultra-rapids - presumably at a nearby highway roadhouse.

I maintain my full NRMA membership, despite Tesla roadside, and despite membership not currently being a requirement, as a matter of principle.

Until said truck being followed too close drops his rear on to the gravel edge thus testing the quality and strength of your paint work and windscreen.

• Funny