Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efficient long drives...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not convinced that drafting anything causes an increased energy cost to the the draftor.
I think that if the draftor creates a low pressure area behind him, then that will be filled by induced wind or by a draftee vehicle, whichever gets there first.
Similar to a kayak riding on the bow wave of a boat.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced 'drafting trucks' is an appropriate behavior.
What you gain in range is paid for by an increase in fuel consumption by the truck. Truckies don't need this extra cost.

My understanding is that trucks don’t like it as it is hard to see cars in their blind spot, probably not as big an issue now many trucks have rear camera’s but still not polite. Any loss of efficiency from a car (if real, fluid dynamics is a black art) is probably not noticeable to the rig.

The bigger issue for the drafter is the cost of stone chips/paint damage.Tesla’s are famous for having soft paint (possibly due to California pollution controls on the paint shop). Going slower is usually the best option as long as you are not going dangerously slow.

My understanding is that trucks don’t like it as it is hard to see cars in their blind spot, probably not as big an issue now many trucks have rear camera’s but still not polite. Any loss of efficiency from a car (if real, fluid dynamics is a black art) is probably not noticeable to the rig.

The bigger issue for the drafter is the cost of stone chips/paint damage.Tesla’s are famous for having soft paint (possibly due to California pollution controls on the paint shop). Going slower is usually the best option as long as you are not going dangerously slow.

Nothing says back off faster than a bloated Roo carcass suddenly appearing from between the rear wheels of a truck going 90kmh.

• Funny
Reactions: Hovean and Vostok
I think 'lethargic' is being kind. Aforementioned wineries, underground locations with limited access, Superchargers 'coming soon' for years (eg Lakes Entrance, Traralgon). I realise that current government attitudes to public charging infrastructure are not exactly encouraging and that we aren't a massive market but I think Tesla could be more proactive and develop a more aggressive rollout schedule aimed at the needs of travelers.
Also all the current charge operators need to get together with government and try to solve the issue of remote area charging infrastructure. Good post-covid19 project.
I sometimes wonder if the third party DCFC rollout (NRMA, Chargefox, Evie, etc) and Tesla’s move to CCS2 for Model 3 has reduced Tesla’s appetite/interest to invest in more SCs. We now have more third party DCFC locations than SCs, that used to not be the case.