Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Egg damage repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought about that. I have the chemical guys polisher, cutting/finishing pads, and a 4 step polish system. I just want to talk to a pro before I start polishing. It feels rough and I don’t want to cause more damage. Haven’t had to deal with egg in 20 years. Last time was my 2002 Monte Carlo.

Stop being a wuss and put some elbow grease into it. I would start with the scratch x by hand first as someone else recommended. Then move to a DA polisher. I bet you can correct it yourself.

Stop being a wuss and put some elbow grease into it. I would start with the scratch x by hand first as someone else recommended. Then move to a DA polisher. I bet you can correct it yourself.
oh I know how to put some elbow grease into it. Being pragmatic has nothing to do with being a wuss. Everyone has things they are good with and things they aren't. Knowing your limitations is a good thing.

I really don’t think it’s worth filing an insurance claim. After your deductible you’re still going to have the damage report on the Carfax and with that comes diminished value.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to try Dr Colorchip. It really isn’t as easy as others make it out to be.

However based off the photos I am fairly certain a polish will remove it. I wouldn’t even bother using Scratch X. If you’ve already spoken to a detailer, have him use a rotary buffer and polish it evenly. Scratch X is basically the same thing, minus the rotary buffer, and without the ability to blend panels evenly.

I really don’t think it’s worth filing an insurance claim. After your deductible you’re still going to have the damage report on the Carfax and with that comes diminished value.

I don’t blame you for not wanting to try Dr Colorchip. It really isn’t as easy as others make it out to be.

However based off the photos I am fairly certain a polish will remove it. I wouldn’t even bother using Scratch X. If you’ve already spoken to a detailer, have him use a rotary buffer and polish it evenly. Scratch X is basically the same thing, minus the rotary buffer, and without the ability to blend panels evenly.
There is no blending working at the clear coat level.

He can pay a detailer $100-$200 for 5 minutes work or learn to deal with small stuff like this on his own that will happen now and then.

Insurance !!! I missed that. That would be nuts even if it needed to be repainted. He’ll learn over time :)

There is no blending working at the clear coat level.

He can pay a detailer $100-$200 for 5 minutes work or learn to deal with small stuff like this on his own that will happen now and then.

Insurance !!! I missed that. That would be nuts even if it needed to be repainted. He’ll learn over time :)
Sometimes paying someone for five mins work is better then attempting something yourself which could turn out looking worse than before you started. Detailed says nothing he can do needs touch up.

Agree on the insurance. Sucks but yes will show on carfax and diminish value like you said. I’m confident it can be touched up so that it is barely noticeable.

Sometimes paying someone for five mins work is better then attempting something yourself which could turn out looking worse than before you started. Detailed says nothing he can do needs touch up.

Agree on the insurance. Sucks but yes will show on carfax and diminish value like you said. I’m confident it can be touched up so that it is barely noticeable.
If you are incapable of say, waxing a car, sure, by all means, hire someone. If you think you can handle rubbing some Scratch X on and buffing it off go for it.

People treat it like it was some exotic 1000 year old oil painting or something. You'd be hard pressed to **** it up, bad enough that it couldn't be taken care by a detailer. A detailer that also learned on his own, by reading the back of the bottle. Not like you need a college degree on it.

Like @bpobill said, "stop being a wuss" already.

If you are incapable of say, waxing a car, sure, by all means, hire someone. If you think you can handle rubbing some Scratch X on and buffing it off go for it.

People treat it like it was some exotic 1000 year old oil painting or something. You'd be hard pressed to **** it up, bad enough that it couldn't be taken care by a detailer. A detailer that also learned on his own, by reading the back of the bottle. Not like you need a college degree on it.

scratch X did not work. I was thinking more along the lines of its better to pay $100 then to mess it up and have to pay $500 to have it corrected. In any event it needs touching up as the chips are deep. Thanks for all the helpful posts here though.

scratch X did not work. I was thinking more along the lines of its better to pay $100 then to mess it up and have to pay $500 to have it corrected. In any event it needs touching up as the chips are deep. Thanks for all the helpful posts here though.

There is no such thing as "Scratch X did not work". It's a degree of how much it can take out.
Especially on damage like that where I'm sure you have many varying depth scratches.
I've never seen it not seriously improve things, which is what you asked for.

If it was one deep scratch, sure you could say, it didn't work. But you have vary scratches there and it should take out all the shallow ones, maybe not the deepest ones. There is no way that is all deep and out of reach.

If you really did use Scratch X (with some serious elbow grease) you would not be saying, I could cause $500.00 damage with it, because that is extremely hard to do because it's so mild and forgiving.

If you just babied it and wiped it on and wiped it off, yes it won't do anything.
Orbital is ideal, actually better than by hand because it's very even, easier to do and also pretty hard to mess up with Scratch X.

It is much better to polish the clear coat than fill the clear coat with paint.

Note: This won't be your last scratch.

Here is a link on egg shell damage repair, it's clear coat damage, looks just like yours, does not need repaint
How To Fix Egg on Car Paint | nextzett USA
Not suggesting you get into wet sanding.

Here is a good example of how much Scratch X can reach. It can reach a lot, if you do enough passes. It's just really slow because it's pretty mild.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "Scratch X did not work". It's a degree of how much it can take out.
Especially on damage like that where I'm sure you have many varying depth scratches.
I've never seen it not seriously improve things, which is what you asked for.

If it was one deep scratch, sure you could say, it didn't work. But you have vary scratches there and it should take out all the shallow ones, maybe not the deepest ones. There is no way that is all deep and out of reach.

If you really did use Scratch X (with some serious elbow grease) you would not be saying, I could cause $500.00 damage with it, because that is extremely hard to do because it's so mild and forgiving.

If you just babied it and wiped it on and wiped it off, yes it won't do anything.
Orbital is ideal, actually better than by hand because it's very even, easier to do and also pretty hard to mess up with Scratch X.

It is much better to polish the clear coat than fill the clear coat with paint.

Note: This won't be your last scratch.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I did try scratchX. These are not scratches they are imprint chips and so this is not going to work. Getting my buffer and going to town on the paint will do nothing to correct this. It needs touch up paint.

You can feel they are deep gouges when you run your finger across and they are very small. My detailer and another pro have told me it needs touch up.

Scratch X is a decent product that I have used in the past and it has its place but it can’t fix this type of issue…I wish it could.

Dude dont you know? Teslas are the most special cars on the road and they require the best of the best. PPF on the entire car, 19 layers of ceramic coating wiped on by someone with a 4 year degree in nano coatings. Then more PPF. Teslas are on a level above Bugatti, Rolls Royce, and Bentley. If you even think about Tesla paint in the wrong way you will **** it up.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I did try scratchX. These are not scratches they are imprint chips and so this is not going to work. Getting my buffer and going to town on the paint will do nothing to correct this. It needs touch up paint.

You can feel they are deep gouges when you run your finger across and they are very small. My detailer and another pro have told me it needs touch up.

Scratch X is a decent product that I have used in the past and it has its place but it can’t fix this type of issue…I wish it could.

Then buy touch up paint or file an insurance claim. Or buy another door without damage and swap it. No other options. You dont need a tesla certified shop. You need a shop that can paint a car. My personal and typically abrasive opinion. Touch up the paint and move on with your life. It sucks but it is what it is. If you spend some time touching up the paint, letting it dry, then buffing it I bet you will hide it pretty good.

Reactions: 240vPlug