Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Egg damage repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

240vPlug

Feb 3, 2021
Maryland
Well a car full of kids egged my three week old MYP tonight. The ceramic coating wasn’t enough to prevent damage to the paint on the driver rear door.

What are my repair options? Does Tesla service do paint work or do I need to find a Tesla certified body shop to repair. I don’t know an acceptable touch up is possible.

Hard to see but in center of rear door.
46CA461F-FC54-42C1-9F3A-0E3CB3101C6C.jpeg

Well a car full of kids egged my three week old MYP tonight. The ceramic coating wasn’t enough to prevent damage to the paint on the driver rear door.

What are my repair options? Does Tesla service do paint work or do I need to find a Tesla certified body shop to repair. I don’t know an acceptable touch up is possible.

View attachment 821202
It looks like you took a photo of a reflection which is swamping out the damage you’re trying to show.

View attachment 821202
Is that a red hose?

The egg shell scratched and embedded in the clear coat.
Yes that is what happened. This is text book egg impact chips. The area where the egg impacted is very rough. I contacted a detailing shop to see if they can do anything. I would be happy with something that would get it back to 95% but if they can’t sounds like the only option is to respray the panel.

I would be happy with something that would get it back to 95% but if they can’t sounds like the only option is to respray the panel.
Did you watch the video? The damage can be touched up in minutes with several small dabs of touch up paint, a paint squeegee. After a few minutes to let the paint dry you remove the excess paint using a clean rag damp with paint remover (sounds like SealX <correction, it is SealAct blending solution from Dr Color Chip>, I could not hear this part.)

If a body shop paints just the one door panel it won't match. They would probably tell you that they need to paint the entire side of the vehicle and blend the paint at the front fender and rear quarter panel.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot and jebinc
Thanks everyone yes I watched the video. I am not good with paint touch ups so I am not going to attempt this. I am going to ask the detailer if he can fix if not will have to make insurance claim. I really appreciate all the good info. I am very anal about my car and to have this happen 3 weeks into owning it is a real downer.

Reactions: jebinc
Ceramic coating and it it was still penetrated?
Ceramic coatings do not prevent scratches. Ceramic coatings make the finish hydrophobic (repels water). The vehicle exterior surfaces stay cleaner and the vehicle is easier to wash, keep clean.

You would need to have paint protection film (PPF), colored or clear, applied to the the parts of the vehicle you want to protect against scratches.

Ceramic coatings do not prevent scratches. Ceramic coatings make the finish hydrophobic (repels water). The vehicle exterior surfaces stay cleaner and the vehicle is easier to wash, keep clean.

You would need to have paint protection film (PPF), colored or clear, applied to the the parts of the vehicle you want to protect against scratches.
Only the front end and lower doors got PPF. Yes ceramic will not prevent chips…can prevent some minor scratches but that’s about it. Mainly makes the paint more glossy, easier to clean and maintain, and protects from come contaminants.

Just polish it with a scratch remover. Probably all clear coat damage.
I thought about that. I have the chemical guys polisher, cutting/finishing pads, and a 4 step polish system. I just want to talk to a pro before I start polishing. It feels rough and I don’t want to cause more damage. Haven’t had to deal with egg in 20 years. Last time was my 2002 Monte Carlo.

I thought about that. I have the chemical guys polisher, cutting/finishing pads, and a 4 step polish system. I just want to talk to a pro before I start polishing. It feels rough and I don’t want to cause more damage. Haven’t had to deal with egg in 20 years. Last time was my 2002 Monte Carlo.
I don’t think you need go to that level.

I absolutely love this stuff. Just use a microfiber cloth and rub. Might take a few passes and a bit of elbow grease.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Scratch-X-2-0-7-oz/dp/B00HUB1MI6

A friend of mine scuffed up his mirror on his new white model Y pretty good. I said I’ll be right back. Got my scratch X out and microfiber that I keep in garage. 2 minutes later it looked as good as new. He couldn’t believe it.

I can’t imagine an eggshell cutting clear through the clear coat.

If I ever do use the different grit pads and pasted I always finish with this stuff.

Stuff is harmless if it’s not potent enough.