Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ehanced AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its been 3 weeks since I received my S 90D with the Enhanced autopilot option (aka AP2). There are some very critical and important features to be included in AP2: collision avoidance, lane assist, etc. For me these are just as important if not more important than the auto pilot feature. From the stream of posts, it appears Tesla may not deliver AP2 anytime soon with all the features promised. Extremely disappointing and very poor execution. Paying for an option to include critical driving features not yet operationally available is a great revenue driver but poor customer relations. I guess they don't care. Hopefully their accountants will delay revenue recognition in their P&L until they deliver.
Perhaps if there is a financial penalty for every day Tesla does not provide AP2 there might be some quick resolution.
Yeah, let's hope they get pressured enough to rush critical systems such as these. Great idea ;)

The other way to look at it is, would you be more upset if you purchased your X in October and it didn't include AP2? Then you would have things working now but an obsolete system when it arrived. That's worse to me.

Reactions: rush6410
Yeah, let's hope they get pressured enough to rush critical systems such as these. Great idea ;)

Sigh, I wish we would stop with this false dichotomy between realistically advertising dates of availability and the threat of delivering dangerously half-baked products slightly late.

Quite frankly even if Tesla said "EAP abilities will start rolling out in reduced functionality early 2017 and reach parity in Q1, growing to surpass AP1 by end of 2017", I think a lot of folks will STILL have ordered. Maybe less compared to what they wanted for their Q4 sales push, but still. No reasonable reading of the EAP rollout timeline ("expected to" roll out in December pending regulatory approval) prepared owners for this initial version that does a 35mph wobble and barely understands adjacent lanes enough to handle cut-in. They made it sound like it was nearly ready and only subject to regulatory approval, which seems far from the case.

The alternative to expecting December means December should not be that having Tesla stick to their estimates (that they voluntarily made to improve sales) implies customers get a dangerous premature product. We already cut Tesla a lot of slack for missing deadlines.

Two points to be made.
1. Charge me when the option is functional. Don't take my hard earned money up front and not provid the service.
2. The official Tesla website should be more informative about key technical roll outs. The company is looked as a technological leader and that's one of the reasons I think the customers are more forgiving as you can read above. Inform the customer. Be more transparent.

Reactions: oktane
Frankly I believe people are becoming so use to delays and updates requiring additional updates to fix previous update bugs (and so on) that they just accept continued poor performance and product delivery.
Recent article in The Verge stated the imminent AP2 rollout will NOT include Automatic Emergency Braking, lane warning and assist, parking and summon, etc. These are critical safety features available in most cars today. Yet Tesla, "the most advanced technology" company can't seem to get this working in cars equipped (and paid for) with major hardware. Stop accepting poor product delivery.

Not saying I *like* Tesla being behind on their promises. This kind of comes with the territory of owning a Tesla. I think I read 91% of Tesla owners would buy another one? Thats going into something with eyes wide open.

I've failed on practically every deadline I ever gave my wife on getting things done for 10 years. I can give Elon a pass otherwise I'd be a major hypocrite.

Not saying I *like* Tesla being behind on their promises. This kind of comes with the territory of owning a Tesla. I think I read 91% of Tesla owners would buy another one? Thats going into something with eyes wide open.

I've failed on practically every deadline I ever gave my wife on getting things done for 10 years. I can give Elon a pass otherwise I'd be a major hypocrite.
That's because while current owners got burned, when they needed a new car they didn't have much choices in the EV market. Furthermore, while they started selling beta features early, they did bring them out eventually, before other competitors. Then there are some people who got burned and traded-in immediately for the latest and greatest. Talk about the loyalty of being burned!

Now if in a couple more years with other major automakers mass-producing EV / autonomous vehicles (very likely as they are all taking it seriously, unlike recent years), this might change. I for one, would not get another Tesla if there are more choices in a couple of years.

That's because while current owners got burned, when they needed a new car they didn't have much choices in the EV market. Furthermore, while they started selling beta features early, they did bring them out eventually, before other competitors. Then there are some people who got burned and traded-in immediately for the latest and greatest. Talk about the loyalty of being burned!

Now if in a couple more years with other major automakers mass-producing EV / autonomous vehicles (very likely as they are all taking it seriously, unlike recent years), this might change. I for one, would not get another Tesla if there are more choices in a couple of years.

I've complained mightily elsewhere about my GM 2017 Volt where I paid extra to get access to higher trim level and extra on top of that to buy the driver confidence safety packages. Most of the features are *useless*

No chance am I ever going to get OTA updates, patches, credits, or refunds for my grievances. I'm just screwed until the car is gone.

In the car software business car, everyone else is pee wee football compared to Tesla's collegiate level.

We can't even complain about another companies software acumen because no one else has showed up to even play.

Are they going to beat Tesla's first mover advantage in this space, I don't think so.

Tesla is the only game in town so we have to put up with it. Hopefully they keep trying to improve and not take us for granted.

Last edited:
On the one hand, I was a little disappointed when my Model X didn't have EAP on Jan 6 when I picked it up; on the other hand, I added the feature via the website so the salesperson didn't have a chance to tell me it wasn't there yet. On yet another hand, the software upgrade with TACC and Beta EAP arrived the morning I was leaving to drive from Montreal to Toronto, (and expecting EAP was one of the reasons I'd decided to drive rather than fly), so the timing was good, even if a total coincidence.

On yet another hand, I was a bit put off on the way back when the car flashed "Autopilot Unavailable" because of what turned out to be 1/2" of frozen slush coating the nose cone. OK, so slush blocks radar, but it would have been nice if it had degraded to a "dumb cruise control" (as it was before the EAP upgrade), rather than completely disabling cruise. I emailed a suggestion, perhaps there's hope.

I've had to de-ice planes, first time for an automobile radome. I guess 1/2" of icing doesn't happen much in Fremont.

• Helpful
Reactions: MichealW