Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EHVIP Cancellation consequence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tough read. I don’t know the politics of the Toronto Sun but I can guess. They’re giving airtime to a guy from a company whose whole business is about commenting on gas prices and helping people find cheaper gas. It’s only one step away from them asking a gas company to write about why gas taxes should be lower. Utter garbage and pretty much an advertorial.

The comments on the article quickly descend into stupidity and vitriol but it’s interesting to see people asking why the new federal tax goes into general revenue and how it helps climate change - as if they think there should be some kind of “green fund” and a whole bunch of initiatives to visibly reduce reliance on fossil fuels - alternative energy, electric vehicle incentives etc. Oh wait, we had that and the same people didn’t like it. Ugh.

Tough as it’s going to be on some people I think gas prices skyrocketing and electric vehicles becoming more available/cheaper is the only way the changeover is going to happen and help reduce vehicular emissions. It’s just a pity it has to be done the hard way but I guess with bone-headed people in charge, they’re only capable of playing a certain kind of hardball political game. It’s the common man who’s going to suffer while Dougie counts down the days to receiving his nice pension and enjoying his cottage in the Muskokas.

The current Ontario government cancelled the cap and trade system that was in place. It was a system that made polluters pay for the pollution they caused and used the revenue to accelerate the transition to low carbon future.

Instead, Ontario has now had their credit rating reduced because they won't be able to pay their bills. Many efficiency programs that have been cancelled by the government. Programs that would have reduced the costs to Ontarians. Like health care costs, the single biggest chunk of the tax pie.

The current Ontario plan is much like the one that failed in Australia. Tax the constituents and pay that money to industries to "incent" the businesses to do better. All the while reducing the taxes on polluters because it is good for their profit margins.

Even GM now understands that EVs are the future, which is why they are bailing out of Ontario.

Not only was the $2 Billion/year Cap and Trade revenue stream stopped, ongoing cost commitments from that program mean Ontario will be on the hook for another $3 Billion over the next 4 years, according to Costing the Cancellation of Cap and Trade. A portion of that revenue could have at least been put back into Ontarian's pockets as a carbon tax break and the rest used to pay off debt in a similar way that the federal carbon fee and dividend backstop system for Ontario will do.

Also GasBuddy Dan, as I have learned from sparring on twitter, is a climate change denier and his income partly depends on the gasoline industry. So, of course he is not for any solutions to climate change and lowering emissions.

Tough read. I don’t know the politics of the Toronto Sun but I can guess. They’re giving airtime to a guy from a company whose whole business is about commenting on gas prices and helping people find cheaper gas. It’s only one step away from them asking a gas company to write about why gas taxes should be lower. Utter garbage and pretty much an advertorial.

The comments on the article quickly descend into stupidity and vitriol but it’s interesting to see people asking why the new federal tax goes into general revenue and how it helps climate change - as if they think there should be some kind of “green fund” and a whole bunch of initiatives to visibly reduce reliance on fossil fuels - alternative energy, electric vehicle incentives etc. Oh wait, we had that and the same people didn’t like it. Ugh.

Tough as it’s going to be on some people I think gas prices skyrocketing and electric vehicles becoming more available/cheaper is the only way the changeover is going to happen and help reduce vehicular emissions. It’s just a pity it has to be done the hard way but I guess with bone-headed people in charge, they’re only capable of playing a certain kind of hardball political game. It’s the common man who’s going to suffer while Dougie counts down the days to receiving his nice pension and enjoying his cottage in the Muskokas.

Dougie gonna be out of a job if the AG actually does her ;)

Dougie gonna be out of a job if the AG actually does her ;)
Our Premier Minister had little to no idea what the Cap & Trade did or how it worked. We enabled this "disaster" by our ignorance
of the circumstance aided by the media which failed to expose the folley of the Conservatives propaganda/election promises.
Just a ? What happened to the $2.7 B fund the Govt inherited when they took office? What did the "payers" think of the transaction when the new guys came into office??

Reactions: felixculpas