Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eibach Springs - M3 Performance - Mountain Pass Control and Toe Arms - Squeaky Rear End

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Been a while since i posted last. Car has been lowered and working perfectly for 2 years... until now. Just went tot the Georgia Mountains in December and took the Tesla. The driveway to the cabin, I swear, was at least a 25-30% grade. When turning up the driveway, the car would almost go into a teeter-totter 3-wheel motion because of how steep the driveway was. Scary. When we left Georgia, we noticed loud squeaking coming from the rear of the car whenever we go over large bumps or if we go up or down steep grades. Now, its so bad it does it under hard acceleration or braking.

I dropped it off to Tesla to see what I ruined by lowering it and how much it was going to cost to fix it. My invoice said "modified suspension. Customer responsible for cost of repairs. Tesla does not warranty aftermarket parts". There was no diagnosis, no explanation of WHAT the noise was so I called me guy who works for Tesla. He spoke to the tech and the tech said the Eibach spring inner diameter is larger than the Tesla "cup" it sits in. When there is an elevation change, the spring is rubbing the cup and making that squeaking sound.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, what did you do to correct it?

Also, I know the quick fix is coilovers but I don't want to drop $2k for coilovers. Anyone have any experience with any of the no-name off brand coilovers on the market? If so, what brand did you get? Any issues with them?

Thanks guys!!!

Sorry I can't give you any helpful info, but I don't understand why anyone would consider lowering a Tesla. The battery is the most expensive part of the car and when you lower the car you raise the risk of ruining the battery. Years ago I ripped out the bottom of a Volvo S40's engine on a dirt road. I had to scrap the car. Tesla's are even lower than an S40.

Hi all. Been a while since i posted last. Car has been lowered and working perfectly for 2 years... until now. Just went tot the Georgia Mountains in December and took the Tesla. The driveway to the cabin, I swear, was at least a 25-30% grade. When turning up the driveway, the car would almost go into a teeter-totter 3-wheel motion because of how steep the driveway was. Scary. When we left Georgia, we noticed loud squeaking coming from the rear of the car whenever we go over large bumps or if we go up or down steep grades. Now, its so bad it does it under hard acceleration or braking.

I dropped it off to Tesla to see what I ruined by lowering it and how much it was going to cost to fix it. My invoice said "modified suspension. Customer responsible for cost of repairs. Tesla does not warranty aftermarket parts". There was no diagnosis, no explanation of WHAT the noise was so I called me guy who works for Tesla. He spoke to the tech and the tech said the Eibach spring inner diameter is larger than the Tesla "cup" it sits in. When there is an elevation change, the spring is rubbing the cup and making that squeaking sound.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, what did you do to correct it?

Also, I know the quick fix is coilovers but I don't want to drop $2k for coilovers. Anyone have any experience with any of the no-name off brand coilovers on the market? If so, what brand did you get? Any issues with them?

Thanks guys!!!
With respect.

Tesla is 100% correct in their response. When you modify the vehicle out of original spec, they will not take any responsibility for legal reasons. Whomever sold you the kit or however it is that you came to acquire it, should have had this info. I suspect your concerns could have been worse, had the spring popped out of the cup, under full load.

Peace out - JP

With respect.

Tesla is 100% correct in their response. When you modify the vehicle out of original spec, they will not take any responsibility for legal reasons. Whomever sold you the kit or however it is that you came to acquire it, should have had this info. I suspect your concerns could have been worse, had the spring popped out of the cup, under full load.

Peace out - JP
Yup. Fully aware Tesla is 100% correct in their stance but I found it annoying the advisor didn't put that info on my paperwork. Luckily, I know the shop foreman and was able to drag the info out of the technician.

I'm taking the car to my mechanic friend who works for Lambo of Sarasota and have him pulling apart and see what is actually causing the noise. I assume I'll be purchasing coilovers very soon

Yup. Fully aware Tesla is 100% correct in their stance but I found it annoying the advisor didn't put that info on my paperwork. Luckily, I know the shop foreman and was able to drag the info out of the technician.

I'm taking the car to my mechanic friend who works for Lambo of Sarasota and have him pulling apart and see what is actually causing the noise. I assume I'll be purchasing coilovers very soon
Coil overs make way more sense, Agree!

Reactions: DC813