TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Eight Rules of EV Charging Etiquette By Plug in Cars

Discussion in 'North America' started by Owner, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Owner

Owner Active Member

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#1 and 6 and 7 are exclusive.

Add. Leave phone number on dash for someone to call you if necessary

#2 Funny notes OK :biggrin:

#5 Who are you asking?

#8 State specific Actions..... The cars are designed to be safe. What specific actions are you proposing?

3. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

I'm conflicted on no.3. Right now, there are relatively few EVs on the road, and most MS owners don't need to charge outside the home much at all. So, if we only charge when needed, we create the appearance of little demand, leading to less infastructure and helping to keep demand in check. I like to plug in when I stop for a bit and see an available charger. Not only does it cast a vote for more chargers, but the other people in the area see a car using the plug and the spot (rather than a vacant space). FWIW, roughly half of my conversations about the car occur when they see me plugging or unplugging.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I think Owner is concerned about the recent posts in the TM Texas forum about where to keep a handgun.

5. swaltner

swaltner Member

Following the link to plugincars.com yields:

8 Safety First

Practice safe charging. The means properly managing the cord. Neatly wind the cord on its holder, and tuck it in so people will not trip on any excess length, or drive over it.

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

I kind of agree with this. In general, it seems to me that there are a lot of unused spots. But I heard from a person who does monitor a set of four stations that the use has gone up dramatically since the Model S is available. She knew that by looking at the records.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the list needs a little more editing.

7. SteveH

SteveH Member

Everything is way too situation dependent. My grocery store installed two Blink stations. I don't ever NEED to charge, but no one else does charge there so I often do, just to support the infrastructure and hope that if it gets used, more stores will be want chargers. I don't see this as wrong, especially when neither station is in use.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Also Blink isn't free and I often feel like 30A isn't worth my effort (position car, etc.), time (slow charging rate), or money (value proposition based on hourly rates).

9. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member