Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

El Paso time of use electric rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
Hello,

Might be moving to El Paso this summer. Noticed there is a TOU option with the El Paso electric company. Looks like 26 cents per KWH during peak M-F and 0.5 cents per KWH during off peak times. Is that really true? Sounds too good to be true.

Considering using this option since we have an X and 3. Wondering if anyone else on TMC uses this plan. Is it definitely better than going with the regular plan? During summer will likely be using AC during on peak times, just not sure which way will be most cost effective given how hot it is with AC.

Thanks,

N

26 is insanely expensive. Unless you are always gone during the day and turn your AC temp to 85 or so I would not get that plan. I pay 12 around the clock in College Station and even that is high for Texas. In Houston with shopping around you can usually get around 7.

I don't know the El Paso market for electricity but I would not buy that. Again if you are out of the house during those hours and use a Nest or something to decrease AC running then it may be worth it.

Reactions: RScottyL
26 is insanely expensive. Unless you are always gone during the day and turn your AC temp to 85 or so I would not get that plan. I pay 12 around the clock in College Station and even that is high for Texas. In Houston with shopping around you can usually get around 7.

I don't know the El Paso market for electricity but I would not buy that. Again if you are out of the house during those hours and use a Nest or something to decrease AC running then it may be worth it.

Thanks for the input. You are right 26 cents is crazy high (10 cents all the time currently), but then again half a cent off peak is insanely low. And peak times are only M-F from June to September. All other times it’s at that crazy cheap rate. A nest is definitely a good idea.

First recommendation - Just stay on the regular rate for awhile. With a new job in a new state, your driving habits will probably be dramatically different.
In many areas, the ToU rates aren't necessarily a great deal.
26 cents when you need to use the air conditioner could be a killer.

First recommendation - Just stay on the regular rate for awhile. With a new job in a new state, your driving habits will probably be dramatically different.
In many areas, the ToU rates aren't necessarily a great deal.
26 cents when you need to use the air conditioner could be a killer.

That’s a good idea. Looks like a 12 month contract if you decide to go TOU.

Even despite erring on the side of using more during peak times, my calcs still put TOU far ahead looking at the total cost over the year given the super low rate for for off peak. Would be great to have any El Paso Tesla owners chime in.

I have a 100% wind power plan with Green Mountain that's TOD. $0.211761 during the day, $0 (yes, zero) from 8pm - 6am. My average is $.1098 since November when TOD took effect. I set my 3 to charge at midnight and learned how to use the delay feature on my washer and dishwasher.

I'm about to break that contract though, just had solar panels & PowerWall installed and will be switching over to a new utility that does net metering of $.115 both ways. Panels and PowerWall are not yet turned on, awaiting the utility inspection.

TOD has become a hassle with regards to laundry - I work from home and used to do laundry during the day. With TOD I've restricted laundry to after 8, which makes it easy to develop a backlog - have 5 baskets lined up in the hall at the moment (had watched my folk's elder dog while they were on vacation and had to wash a lot of towels).

That’s right. Around $1500 for install. I my home builder cover the cost of the install and have had it working for a few months now. With some added fees it’s not exactly as cheap as advertised, I think it’s more like 1.5 cents a kWh? But overall still super cheap.