TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electrek article regarding improved cryptography key fob and PIN

Discussion in 'Model S' started by FloridaGary, Aug 31, 2018.

1. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Member

I'm sure we cannot get any credit back on turning our working FOBs in exchange. I wonder if I can have one of each...

3. Reeler

Reeler 8th Year of Pure EV

I would presume that Tesla is replacing our fobs for free. Especially since they kept selling them for the Model S even though the Model X ones were fixed far earlier.

• Helpful x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

I spoke to Tesla Svc Center and they did not confirm new keyfobs for those of us with older Model S vehicles. Not sure who to believe.

5. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Got the PIN to drive, going to find out about the key fobs

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Doubt it. Is every other manufacturer replacing all of their older keys based on similar tech?

7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

I have no expectation for Tesla to replace old fobs. It would be good if here was an option to buy new fobs, but there should not be any expectation of free.

Now, the free PIN to drive upgrade is great and an example on how Tesla is different in a better way. No other mfg would be able to do this upgrade, and even if they can, their dealer network would scream to have you take it in for service.

• Like x 4
  8. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

FastEddie - What software update did you receive that included the PIN to Drive option?

9. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

32.4 but apparently there are 3 versions of it. I also see that the screens have a "night" mode that shift out blue at night. I'll catch it on video to make sure I'm not crazy.

10. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

What makes you think you will get hardware upgrades free?

11. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

You mean like a more warm white yellow tone like iPhones? I hope that is user selectable.

12. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Yes. Only the binnicle display and now that I look at it again, I might be seeing things. It just seems warmer, I'll have to take some photos and compare them to older ones.

13. pjw65

pjw65 Member

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

What makes you so sure it won't just be a firmware update on your existing fobs?

15. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Because in the linked article above they say it's a Texas Instruments Chip, which only can do 40bit:

• Informative x 2
  16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Interesting the hacking paper says they are using DST40. The spec sheet for the TI chip says it supports DST80.

If I am reading all this correctly.

• Like x 1
  17. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Seems, that Tesla used an even older Chip or just used this one wrong.
    In another Article by Gizmondo, Tesla says it costs $150 and it needs a software upgrade:
    A software upgrade only would never cost $150, I think they will replace the key fobs (or part of it).

• Informative x 1
  18. E-Ryc

E-Ryc Member

It sounds pretty clear - the (free) sw update teaches the car how to speak to new fobs. If you really want that new fob, you pay (my guess is $150 per piece, not for both of them).

19. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I am curious, how many other cars use the same TI chip? Do they have the same risks?

I know it's more glamorous to hack a Tesla, but how widespread is this problem? The article listed some high end cars... but what about the others?

20. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

You are indeed. And that is the HW module, using a SW wrapper, you could extend it...
    80-Bit DST80 Security Authentication Coprocessor
    80-Bit Authentication Key Length