Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek article regarding improved cryptography key fob and PIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the article is incorrect, I tried calling the service center for replacement fob and the mobile tech called me back to let me know that such a process does not exist (yet?)

Has anyone either a) been successful getting a replacement fob already or b) successfully scheduled a future appointment for such a change?

I'll submit a support request with my question and availability of the fob.

Service Center in Switzerland told me, they know only what they read in the press. :)
But they think, that before it will be available at the service center, Tesla will inform each customer per email, like they did with the steering wheel.
I got email about the steering wheel in April 18, but did not fix it till today, i'll wait for the key fob replace and let it do both.

Service Center in Switzerland told me, they know only what they read in the press. :)
But they think, that before it will be available at the service center, Tesla will inform each customer per email, like they did with the steering wheel.
I got email about the steering wheel in April 18, but did not fix it till today, i'll wait for the key fob replace and let it do both.
Interesting...so from that aspect it would be treated as a "recall" potentially?

$64,000 question, which Owner Support couldn’t answer:

Does Valet Mode supersede Pin to Drive? How do we know?

Presumably, PtD only disables shifter engagement into D or R and presumably N.

I use VM often because it makes it more difficult to get into the glove box and frunk. As an aside, it would be nice if forcing access to the glove box triggered at the least the car alarm. No, I did not bring enough for everybody.

I believe the article is incorrect, I tried calling the service center for replacement fob and the mobile tech called me back to let me know that such a process does not exist (yet?)

Has anyone either a) been successful getting a replacement fob already or b) successfully scheduled a future appointment for such a change?

I had a similar experience when I contacted Tesla about this. I submitted the issue to the executive team and raised my concern that no one knew what was going on and that they had not released any service bulletins or memos to their own staff in regards to the security of the car o_Oo_Oo_O. I documented my experience and actions in this post if your interested "Wired" article about key fob cloning

Today I went to the service center and they were aware of the issue but were unable to upgrade my keys as my car would not accept them. They think its an unreleased software update and staged me for the current firmware. to be clear I already have pin to drive and current have 2018.32.4 looking at the available firmware i suspect they staged 2018.34.4 which is the most recent release. Hopefully it mentions the keys in the release notes ;)

I also mentioned what occurred today to the executive team to see if they can shine some light on whats really going on and if its really a software issue and or when it might be available if so.

• Helpful
Reactions: brianman
A major flaw is that you can't change the PIN, after you set it the first time.

For the Valet PIN, and the Speed Limit PIN, you can go into the app and reset them; however there is no place to reset the PTD PIN.

Well, I suppose you can go through the MCU onscreen process for forgetting a PIN, which has you enter your Tesla credentials. I assume after going through that process, it might allow for (or require) a PIN reset.

A major flaw is that you can't change the PIN, after you set it the first time.

For the Valet PIN, and the Speed Limit PIN, you can go into the app and reset them; however there is no place to reset the PTD PIN.

Well, I suppose you can go through the MCU onscreen process for forgetting a PIN, which has you enter your Tesla credentials. I assume after going through that process, it might allow for (or require) a PIN reset.

Initially I thought the same, why can’t I change it in the car by entering the pin etc. However what if you let someone drive your car and they change the pin? I think forcing the full credentials in car is a good way to control the issue of unauthorized changing of the pin so only the account holder can change it.

I do agree it would be nice to have some kind of control on pin to drive in the app.

Initially I thought the same, why can’t I change it in the car by entering the pin etc. However what if you let someone drive your car and they change the pin? I think forcing the full credentials in car is a good way to control the issue of unauthorized changing of the pin so only the account holder can change it.

I do agree it would be nice to have some kind of control on pin to drive in the app.

Can you turn PIN to drive off anyway other than using the forgot your PIN option?