Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek Echo: Tesla May be Testing Towing Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Tesla Model 3 spotted testing towing capacity

Good News if true !

I was mulling over purchase of a 3rd party solution but I'm hesitant because of the need to trim the bumper and uncertainties regarding contact points that may lead to galvanic corrosion. I'm happy to wait a few months for the Tesla offering, in for no other reason that it may provide a reference design for others to copy and perhaps gain Tesla's blessing.

Reactions: roguenode
There was a picture of a Tesla-owned Model S towing an obvious test trailer before the Model X was released. The Model S was never approved for towing. Speculation at the time was that it was just testing capacity for the future Model X.

I would speculate that this is testing for the future Model Y to be towing-approved. I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for the same for M3.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
1E35031C-33E4-4462-ACF8-32443FCB3EF0.jpeg
I hope this is Elon following through on his promises now that production is up to speed!

View attachment 322108 I hope this is Elon following through on his promises now that production is up to speed!
Often things that Elon would like to have happen fall to a low point on the priority list. He means well. I was hoping that when the AWD was released, there would be towing. It was not, and I don't see any way for them to go back and add it to an already-released vehicle. I'm afraid there will be no towing, now or in the future, for the M3.