TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electrek Echo: Tesla May be Testing Towing Hitch

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SageBrush, Jul 31, 2018.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Tesla Model 3 spotted testing towing capacity

Good News if true !

I was mulling over purchase of a 3rd party solution but I'm hesitant because of the need to trim the bumper and uncertainties regarding contact points that may lead to galvanic corrosion. I'm happy to wait a few months for the Tesla offering, in for no other reason that it may provide a reference design for others to copy and perhaps gain Tesla's blessing.

• Like x 1
  2. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

There was a picture of a Tesla-owned Model S towing an obvious test trailer before the Model X was released. The Model S was never approved for towing. Speculation at the time was that it was just testing capacity for the future Model X.

I would speculate that this is testing for the future Model Y to be towing-approved. I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for the same for M3.

• Informative x 1
  3. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

I wont hold my breath, but I'm still gonna hope.

Same with roof racks....

4. TurboCJ

TurboCJ Member

1E35031C-33E4-4462-ACF8-32443FCB3EF0.jpeg I hope this is Elon following through on his promises now that production is up to speed!

5. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Often things that Elon would like to have happen fall to a low point on the priority list. He means well. I was hoping that when the AWD was released, there would be towing. It was not, and I don't see any way for them to go back and add it to an already-released vehicle. I'm afraid there will be no towing, now or in the future, for the M3.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would not rule it out so quickly. The rear bumper support structure may be designed for a hitch but Tesla doesn’t want to start offering that option yet because they are trying to keep things simple internally.

7. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I really need light-duty towing. I really hope this happens soon. I'm thinking about unsupported after-market but I'd much rather have the official setup.