Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek: First Close-Up Look at Tesla Solar Roof Tiles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First up-close look at Tesla solar roof tiles

It’s still not clear to me how the tiles interlock and connect but those are the first photos I’ve seen of the back side of the tiles.

My hunch is that there is another strip/underlayment we aren't shown in this video that's affixed to the roof that have mating interfaces that the lock into the gizmos/teeth that are on the underside (towards the back) of the tiles that can be seen when he lifts up the tiles.

My hunch is that there is another strip/underlayment we aren't shown in this video that's affixed to the roof that have mating interfaces that the lock into the gizmos/teeth that are on the underside (towards the back) of the tiles that can be seen when he lifts up the tiles.
Yeah, from an engineering POV there has to be an underlying base for this as there’s no way to ever remove a ‘shingle’ (tile) later without such an animal. Never mind the ‘power collection’ idea which also needs it.

Solar panels use actual cables that run beneath them but these need a substrate collector of some type. Someone needs to ‘liberate’ some install materials. :D

Reactions: skitown
Maybe there is a space designed in underneath the tiles so the roof is elevated a bit over the roof underlayment? That might also result in some airflow to cool the tiles as well and improve efficiency.

I saw cross strapping/ furring put down first on one of the install articles. It looked continuous, so questionable on cooling, but definitely gave wire space.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva