Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek reports that Tesla to offer bird's eye view with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek just reported that Tesla is going to offer bird's eye view with FSD:

Tesla to offer bird’s eye view through Autopilot camera in FSD package - Electrek

I read in previous posts that this was not possible because the cameras on Tesla do not cover all the angles to produce bird's eye view. Any thought on this?

I assumed that for those of us who already purchased FSD, we will get the update for free.

I am very excited about this feature if it can be done through software.

Reactions: mswlogo

Tesla to offer bird’s eye view through Autopilot camera in FSD package - Electrek

I read in previous posts that this was not possible because the cameras on Tesla do not cover all the angles to produce bird's eye view. Any thought on this?

I assumed that for those of us who already purchased FSD, we will get the update for free.

This is "vector space" view .. which is essentially what we already have, though I'm sure with the V11 rewrite it will be far more detailed.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve

It will be interesting to see what Tesla gives us and how it is implemented. The biggest challenge they have is that none of the front cameras can show things close to the front bumper because of their placement in the windshield.

There are systems that use memory to help - Peugeot actually has a Birdseye camera based solely on the backup camera I think, that remembers what the camera saw there and keeps track of how the car moved.

Tesla also has ultrasonic sensors all around the car.

So it’ll be interesting to see what they bring.

Interesting. In order for this to be useful as parking assist, they'd have to implement some degree of object permanence, i.e. the car would have to "remember" objects it has previously seen after they wander out of the view of the autopilot cameras as the car gets too close.

Yup. Which a Peugeot from 2005? does (as pixels, rather than real objects, I believe.) That's part of why I'm really curious what we'll get.

it is not possible for teslas to have birdseye views as the camera position are optimized for AP view not for parking.
I reckon what happens is that the car saves images and then greys out a few blindspots where it cant see + some reconstruction of prior images. all you really need is whats just behind anyway.

edit: just seen the picture. woha... no idea how they do it. they must be saving some images for the last 30seconds or so to construct a 3d image of the space.

It is not a birds eye camara view. It is drawing from the machine language system.

They are all interpolated views. It's just the Tesla's don't have the cameras in as ideal a location.

I'll take it.

I hope they come up with something for rear cross path one of these days, it won't be perfect but I sure would like something over just a rearview camera. You are not always looking at the screen and a beep if it senses moving towards your travel path would be nice.

I might add here that it's fairly annoying that a non FSD feature is packaged into it.
It should either be a seperate purchase (which is very unlike Tesla as they do free updates for the life of the car) or just come for free like any other update. There is nothing FSD about a safety feature.

it is not possible for teslas to have birdseye views as the camera position are optimized for AP view not for parking.
I reckon what happens is that the car saves images and then greys out a few blindspots where it cant see + some reconstruction of prior images. all you really need is whats just behind anyway.

edit: just seen the picture. woha... no idea how they do it. they must be saving some images for the last 30seconds or so to construct a 3d image of the space.
The picture Electrek posted isn’t real. It’s an old mock-up.

See the earlier reply: This isn’t a camera view, it’s a vector-space graphic view. We have that now with the car avatar and road objects. This just expands it.

I might add here that it's fairly annoying that a non FSD feature is packaged into it.
It should either be a seperate purchase (which is very unlike Tesla as they do free updates for the life of the car) or just come for free like any other update. There is nothing FSD about a safety feature.

Except that the only way to create that feature with the current camera set is through the FSD vector space analysis, which is something Tesla is only doing for FSD.

But the way I read Elon’s tweet is that the FSD development will bring the view, not necessarily an indication of how it will be packaged for sale.

Reactions: Mash and Superendo
Except that the only way to create that feature with the current camera set is through the FSD vector space analysis, which is something Tesla is only doing for FSD.

But the way I read Elon’s tweet is that the FSD development will bring the view, not necessarily an indication of how it will be packaged for sale.

good surround view during reversing is an important safety feature. should come for free to ALL teslas (including the ones who dont have basic AP).

good surround view during reversing is an important safety feature. should come for free to ALL teslas (including the ones who dont have basic AP).
Cars currently have fantastic rear view cameras IMO. Birdseye 360 is premium feature. Cameras were NEVER positioned to accomplish this, I'm excited to see what magic Tesla might offer

Tesla must be getting money thirsty.
Remember the days we used to get cool new features for free via OTA?

My understanding is all the visualization stuff requires the FSD package.

So it's not surprising that this visualization would also require the FSD package. Where it requires not just HW3 (the FSD computer), but also that the customer paid for FSD.

As to hungry for money I agree in a sense that they want FSD to be a compelling option for people to get. So new options that require the HW3/FSD computer will only be available to people who paid for FSD.

Reactions: bhzmark
The picture Electrek posted isn’t real. It’s an old mock-up.

See the earlier reply: This isn’t a camera view, it’s a vector-space graphic view. We have that now with the car avatar and road objects. This just expands it.
The picture is real, it's just not native to tesla. Search the forum, people have installed that system on older teslas. Requires additional cameras to work.