Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrek speculations on Elon tweet 350kW supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the point of view of a company that's mission is to further sustainability, a super duper fast charger network raises some interesting contradictions. In the short term, it would be great because it would get rid of one more barier to adopting electric transportation. On the other hand, I know if I could get charged up for next to nothing in less than 15 minutes almost anywhere, I would drive a lot faster and less efficiently thus using a lot more electricity and hence resources. The only way to get people to then drive more efficiently would be to boost the cost for the charging at this rate -- nothing any of us spoiled "super charge for free for life" people would cherish see happening.

I am unsure if current Tesla vehicles would be able to charge at the higher specified rate so the "free for life" might still yield you similar charging performance that most of us enjoy today.

* I still wonder if "free for life" is unlimited without any exclusions and if Tesla can somehow add certain exclusions later on such as "free for life, up to 50 charges per year."

I think the biggest benefit is how it would fix congestion at SC's. It's a better fix than trying to keep up by building more and more SC locations.

I agree. Once there is a mainstream adoption of EVs, there will be less need for these superchargers. I can only imagine they simply get removed once we see local EV charging stations with 20 bays at popular intersections, but we will need to see charging standards come down to two big ones before that can happen. IMO.