Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ELECTREK: Tesla starts limiting charge to 80% at busy Superchargers to reduce wait times

Yay or Nay?

• Yes, way less wait times!

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • No, I need >80%!

Votes: 21 26.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this at 3 different SCer stations over the past weekend.

The most interesting one was in Southampton, NY where I was the only car charging. I only needed to top up like 30 miles for an "around town" driving buffer at my destination, so the 80% limitation didn't effect me. it turns out I was able to use a Destination charger in the area after all, so i need not have stopped but i was driving for over 2 hours by this point and i needed to stretch my legs.

the same thing happened on the way home at the Plainview, NY SCer except I was one of 3 cars charging. again, i need not have stopped, but i wanted to stretch my legs and get a cup of coffee so i spent 10 minutes topping up the car.

I feel it is a bit heavy-handed to limit SCers to 80% if the SCer is not busy.. but it seems to have curtailed SCer usage by locals who might not bother to "make the trip to the SCer" if they can't fill up their battery.

i also suspect that many Tesla Owners do not know how to bypass the 80% limitation, even though tesla mentioned this is possible even in the notification of the limit.