Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Bicycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for you for electric bike owners: Do you keep it charged up when not in use? I charge my ecoreco scooter until the green light (fully charged) and keep it in the back of my car. I wonder if that harms the battery like with a Tesla?

The scooter sure is fun to ride.

I just bought a 2014 Specialized Turbo S.

[...]

I think I am going to be putting fewer miles on my Roadster now.

Quick update: I am indeed using the Roadster a lot less. The e-bike really is fun. I still take the car when it's raining, but if I'm just going in to town and it's dry, I always take the e-bike (even in the cold - I just wear my snowboard gear) and I sometimes look for an excuse to go for a ride, which I never did on my old bikes which were purely for exercise and occasional reluctant transportation.

The brake pads sure wear out fast though! My rear pads (I use the rear brakes more to use the regen that is tied to the brakes; but it barely does anything so it's mostly brakes) were completely gone after one winter, and in fact it ruined the disc as well. I guess now I know to watch for it. Still love the bike though.

Canuck, like the Tesla, my bike recommends you just keep it plugged in. However, like my Tesla, if I know it's going to sit for a while I do try to catch it somewhere between 80 and 90% charge and unplug it.

A question for you for electric bike owners: Do you keep it charged up when not in use? I charge my ecoreco scooter until the green light (fully charged) and keep it in the back of my car. I wonder if that harms the battery like with a Tesla?
Canuck, like the Tesla, my bike recommends you just keep it plugged in. However, like my Tesla, if I know it's going to sit for a while I do try to catch it somewhere between 80 and 90% charge and unplug it.

With BionX it's not nearly as easy as a Tesla. All sorts of procedures (well... comparatively) from not overcharging too much (i.e., unplug when the green light shows) to making sure it doesn't lose all its charge (don't leave for more than 2-3 months unplugged and stored). In actual use the battery and overall system has been fabulous. Luckily in Victoria's weather I don't have to lock the bikes up for the winter months, except when I want to drive the Model S instead :scared:.

One of the most pricey e-bikes out there, but check this out: Home | Trefecta Mobility . And yes, it's a bicycle... but not your run of the mill one.

Couldn't see the price, probably at least 10K USD?

Specs look more like a small motorcycle rather than a bike, and I guess in most countries it would be classed as "moped" or similar.

In Denmark, this kind of bike can go maximum 45 km/h (28 mph), otherwise it has to be registered as a proper motorcycle, 18 years old with a motor cycle drivers license to drive it.

In Hong Kong, it's downright forbidden, where anything with a motor needs a license plate, unless you drive it in your apartment or back yard (for those few that have such).

Having said all that, the wanna-havit itch is real strong, really awesome that people build something like this.

I have this bike:
Amazon.com : Currie Technologies eZip Men Outdoors

Pros: It's cheap, has a pretty good range and the power is ok.
Cons: It's really heavy ~ 70lbs, uses a SLA battery and the power is just ok.

But honestly, for the price tag ($500), it can stand up to the much more expensive but only slightly lighter/more powerful bikes.

In terms of charging, the battery is about 20lbs (so without it the bike is only ~50lbs), it comes out and I charge it in my room. Takes all night.

P.S. The Tesla Roadster is way more fun to drive so I've not taken the bike out for a while...

http://www.ev4.pl

Its two 500 W electric motors, geared belt drives and 36 V Li-ion battery pack in either 20 Ah or 40 Ah configurations offer a top speed of 40 km/h (25 mph) and a range of between 30 and 50 km (18.6 - 31 miles) with the 20 Ah battery installed and up to double that with the larger pack on board.The four-wheeler sports hydraulic disc brakes on each of the four wheels ensure short stopping distances. It's 150 cm long and 60 cm wide (59 x 24 in) and benefits from a height-adjustable seat. Sans battery pack, the EV4 tips the scales at 41 kg (90 lb), which increases to 47 kg with the 20 Ah battery installed and 53 kg with the 40 Ah pack. There's a twist-grip throttle and ride information, such as speed and remaining charge, is displayed on a handlebar-mounted LCD display.
Currently in its fifth iteration, the EV4 is now available to buy for €5,000 (US$7,000). It can be seen slaloming along backstreets, covered carparks and public parks in Poland in the video below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the bike in person at Intermot. Lots of interest at the time. Let's see if it makes it into production and comes to the US!

Couldn't see the price, probably at least 10K USD?

Specs look more like a small motorcycle rather than a bike, and I guess in most countries it would be classed as "moped" or similar.

In Denmark, this kind of bike can go maximum 45 km/h (28 mph), otherwise it has to be registered as a proper motorcycle, 18 years old with a motor cycle drivers license to drive it.

In Hong Kong, it's downright forbidden, where anything with a motor needs a license plate, unless you drive it in your apartment or back yard (for those few that have such).

Having said all that, the wanna-havit itch is real strong, really awesome that people build something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

The majority of e-bikes like to be charged up whenever not used. We recommend this highly as well.

Joe

The scooter sure is fun to ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Im curious. Did you open your store?

I am thinking of opening an all electric bicycle store. Do you think it would work in an area that has four seasons? I flew to California and met Don Costanza of Pedego, the president of Curry electric bikes and one other company. It was very interesting. What about in the winter time???

Found this at a pawn shop for a couple hundred dollars. It just needed a new battery ($300).

thumb_IMG_0851_1024.jpg

I just bought a second-hand Prodeco Phantom X2 off Craigslist. The throttle is a little wonky. The seller said he thought the motor had some faulty Hall-effect sensors. From what I've seen online, it looks repairable, but the dealer just wants to replace the rear wheel & motor assembly. If it comes with some sort of warranty coverage, I'm inclined to go that route as well. Have any of you had to do the same, and how much did it run you?

FlasherZ and others with Pedego bikes:

Are you still recommending them? Got two 2-hr rental certificates as a birthday present - highly appreciated as we wanted to learn more about e-bikes anyway. Should be able to make use of them in the next ten days or so, we hope, but we're very interested beforehand of any insights others have.

Yes, I like my Pedego Classic City Commuter quite a bit. It's quite heavy, but very comfortable ride, and fast. It's not highly maneuverable for off road or rough terrain, more like a big road Harley motorcycle compared to a little dirt bike on the motorcycle side. But, you can use it as a replacement for a second car. Two rear saddle bags hold a bunch of stuff. Goes about 50 miles on a charge on flat Florida terrain (with 155 lb rider). Can cruise up to 25 mph. I have the higher end 48 volt model. Easy to pedal just like a bike, adding none, a bit or a lot of assist, or to drive like a motorcycle with twist throttle.
FlasherZ and others with Pedego bikes:

Are you still recommending them? Got two 2-hr rental certificates as a birthday present - highly appreciated as we wanted to learn more about e-bikes anyway. Should be able to make use of them in the next ten days or so, we hope, but we're very interested beforehand of any insights others have.