Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Bicycles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once it became apparent that my Conveyor wasn't coming back, I realized my homebuilt bike was going to become my daily rider. I needed a second bike in any event, and sooner would be better so the homebuilt wouldn't be my primary bike for long.

Unfortunately ebikes, like many other things, can be hard to get right now. Especially when you're picky like me - try to find something with belt drive, IGH, no suspension, torque sensor, Class 3, big tires, sufficient battery and gearing, integrated lights, fenders available, not too heavy, with LBS (local bike shop) support. I knew of nothing that met all of my criteria.

But there were a couple of internet bikes that were close - without LBS support, obviously. The Priority Current (which spec-wise seemed very similar to my old Pedego Conveyor) had some great reviews, were in stock, and through Costco I could get one for $2600. That seemed too good to not try. If it was really good, it could become my primary bike. If only so-so, I could sell the homebuilt bike and make the Current my backup as soon as I picked out something else.

PriorityCurrent.jpg

The Current arrived quickly, and was well-packaged. There were several bits that needed to be installed or adjusted, but nothing difficult. Lots of power, Class 3, decent brakes, decent ride. Not a lot of gearing or battery, but enough. It came with good fenders, lights and kickstand, and a rack was easy enough to add. It was easy to add my usual shock stem, riser bars and mirror.

It's clearly a nicer bike than my homebuilt; especially the brakes. I could live with it as a daily rider. But it's not as nice as my Pedego Conveyor was. Some downsides (mostly pretty minor):
  • 1.85" tires, while better than the 1.25" tires on my homebuilt, are not as cushy as the 2.4" tires I am used to
  • The motor has plenty of power...but makes a whistling sound reminiscent of a teakettle
  • The charging port is a little awkward to plug the charging cord in, and really hard to get the cover back on
  • 5 speeds are "enough", but more are always better. Plus this has a tight grip shift, which is kind of hard with arthritis
  • It has a torque sensor...but still seems to operate more like a cadence-sensing bike
  • It seems to deliver more power at high speeds than at low speeds, which is kind of the opposite of what I'd prefer
  • You gotta hit a lot of buttons to reset the trip meter
  • No motor cutoff on the brake levers
  • The battery meter is not simply voltage-based...but does still go up and down a bit
  • It doesn't seem as efficient as I'd expect...it still has plenty of energy for my normal rides, but the energy seems to disappear faster than on other bikes
So there was no urgency...but I did keep looking around at other bikes. I can't help it. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I have a 5. Are you a bike enthusiasts? Don't want to bore you with details why these bikes vary so much in price. I feel Rad makes the best for the $. You are not getting top of the line components and the price reflects that. I love my bike and the support from Rad has been pretty good. They answer the phones, ship replacement or warranty stuff fast.My bike is a 2019 before the 6. Things like mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic really kept the price down. It's plenty fast enough and powerful enough for my off road needs. I live in a pretty rural area and do a little off road riding. Nothing extreme no jumps etc. but the trails and loggiing roads are pretty rough.

If I was buying now I'd probably go with a 6 but I'd buy the step thru. These are tall bikes and they are much easier to get on/off especially if you add a rear rack and bag. I have to really lower my bike to lift my leg over. Works and not worh selling to buy a step thru. Rad bikes seem to hold their value ok but pandemic effects reselling everything. They've typically had once a year Black Friday sales but must have had over stock on Rover 6's as they were $200 off with free shipping. I've owned Bianchi's, Treks etc and just don't (and never really did need) top of the line componentry. Range and power assist are great. Very reliable too.

• Informative
Reactions: ChadS
Yeah I don't need top line components either, I ride relatively mild trails technically. Stuff like Rails to Trails (converted railways) and such. With my bike rack I need the standard Rad 6, the step through wouldn't work with my rack.

Does anyone on this forum own / ride an electric bicycle? I'm strongly considering buying either an IZIP E3 Dash or an Easy Motion Neo Cross, and I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with e-biking in general.
I recently bought 2 Ebikes, wife and I. have about 179 miles on them so far. Way better than biking, travel so much further in same amount of time, allows me to ride up hills I would not be able to otherwise. You can still get the exercise by setting the level of assist. You decide how much or how little you want to input effort. We got FAT tire bikes, very smooth riding on trails, gravel, road, etc.

Attachments

• BeeCool Bike.jpg
    BeeCool Bike.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 34
Anyone here own a RadRover 6 (or 5)?

I don't own one, but have been to the "factory outlet" and have ridden one. They are local to me, and some employees are part of the local EV club. I see a ton of 'em around here.

They are pretty big and well-capitalized for a DTC bike company. As mentioned they don't use high-spec components, but they do seem to carefully consider value and deliver a pretty good package. I enjoyed riding one (although I'd echo the concern that you need to be careful on standover height; anyone of less than average height is probably going to want a step-thru model). And my understanding is that they are working hard on rolling out more and better service options. I believe in certain cities they have mobile service vans.

Their offerings don't fit my needs; but I'm a lot pickier than most. Most people don't ride daily in all weather, and so are perfectly fine with low-end (maybe the wrong word. They're not junk, they are good stuff like Shimano - just the low end of their line) derailleurs, cassettes, and shock forks and their maintenance requirements. And most e-bike riders aren't trying to match speed with an acoustic bike rider. I think they fit a great mass-market need, and hope they continue to do well.