Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric bill change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't figure out how much is due to the car just from looking at the bill. I tried doing that when I converted my Prius to a PHEV back in 2008, but I was confused when my bill went down. Then I realized my son had left for college, and he used more electricity than the car did.

Model S rated efficiency, including charging overhead, is a little under 3 miles per kWh. Spirited driving can lower that farther. Of course, with careful driving you could do a little better. Say you drive 1000 miles a month; that's 333kWh. How much that costs depends on your rates. Buying Green Power, I pay about 11 cents per kWh. So it's about $36/month for me.

Hey everyone that has their cars already. How much of a change have you experienced on your electric bills (how much do you drive per month as well)

Just looking for more data points

I will use about double (Oct-May) my current home power consumption adding the Model S. From (Jun-Sept) I will probably only increase my home consumption by about 35% (AC is huge in the summer). But as to cost, I will roughly increase my monthly bill ~50% (Oct-May), and I'll see during (Jun-Sept) as I switched to ToU metering, and don't have a clue how much electricity I use 2pm-7pm on Weekdays during those months. I can tell you that time frame will probably be >60% of my monthly cost. I am hoping I increase during summer is near zero.

I keep my house hot in the day in the summer, and the ToU rates would have probably saved me a little during the summer anyway. With almost free power 11pm - 7am I don't think my car will be a big factor towards my bill.

I use ~600-700 kWh in the non summer months. I drive ~2000 miles a month so about another ~600-700kWh to the car.
During the Summer I use ~1200-2000kWh (normally about 1600-1800kWh average)per month (totally temperature dependent). My car will still suck about ~600-700kWh more.

Hello ElSupreme, We have a very similar utility setup and monthly mileage rates (Just completed my first Model S month with 2500 miles). However I had this PEV ToU meter since late last Summer. I installed Nest Thermostat and programmed in a way (I guess we could do with other thermostats) that it cools the home before the peak 20 cents summer rate kicks-in. This helped me to minimize the increase in the summer.

I track my KWh monthly and billing in my way and here is the summary graph attached. Big spike in the super-off peak category in Jan bill but only $30 range increase in the bill.
Power Consumption Graph.png

Hey everyone that has their cars already. How much of a change have you experienced on your electric bills (how much do you drive per month as well)

Just looking for more data points
I'm not sure that's a useful question at all.

Electricity charger and schemes (ToU, tiers, rates, etc.) are REALLY variable depending on the utility, the person and whether they have PV.

I live in ripoff PG&E land in Nor Cal and posted about my rates at My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - 2013 LEAF Pricing and Features-S:28,800 SV:31,820 SL:34,840. To quote from my post there:
I don't even have an PHEV/EV yet. Try putting in your usage into Understand Your Electric Charges w/95136 zip and no for CARE (for low income people). I'd be curious how about your usage for a month, your rates and what the calculator says (which is actually too low, since it doesn't include taxes and fees).

I'm usually under gas and electric baselines. Being above only happens if it's really hot or cold. The electricity portion of the bill before that was $49.61 for 366 kwh == ~13.55 cents/kwh. I was under the 386.1 kwh baseline for that month.

Compare that to the rates at Seattle City Light: Electric Rates Provisions or 2013 Rates (January 1, 2013)
(total bargain).

If someone in ripoff PG&E land added a BEV and that took them into tier 5, the marginal cost per kwh is $0.34 whereas the guy in Douglas County in WA has no tiers and is paying just $0.0233/kwh.

I think the only useful info to the OP is the approx increase in kwh/month, charging method and # of miles driven. OP will need to figure out how much that it'd increase his bills on his utility.

Last edited:
Utility bill experiences so far

I just got my first full month utility bill since receiving my New P85 in Mid-December.
My electricity rate is .0945 per kwh for the actual power and the actual distribution charge is .0619 per kwh from PECO.
My bill for 12/27/2012-01/29/2013 showed that my usage was 1737kwh for the current period vs. 1048kwh for same period last year.
It also shows that the avg. daily temp this year was 3 degrees colder than last year (35 vs 38F).
So I used 689 more kwh compared to last year, or an extra $107.75 for this month.
I'm averaging about 40-50 miles per day driving, and that includes an occasional day of 100+ miles.
I'm generally not too harsh on the pedal, but heh, it is a P85!
Our heat and hot water are from natural gas, so I would think that most of this extra usage is from charging my S.
Just thought it would be interesting to see what others are experiencing so far.

The tesla website calculator is missing a lot of factors.

Driving 1000miles * .350KW = 350kw (replace .350 with whatever kw/m you're getting)
Current vampire drain guessing 30 days x 4kw a day = 120kw (guesstimate, hope they improve on this)
470 KW for the month
470 * 1.20 (20% charging efficiency loss) = 564 KW

We don't have cheap electricity here in SoCal, even on TOU Level 2 super-off peak = slightly less than $0.20 a kilowatt

564*$0.20=$112.8

Just a reminder that I work for S D G & E and we offer special EV residential Time-of-Use rates that are cheapest from midnight to 5am...PM me for questions or for a referral if you need it...

I am a SDGE customer and my service just switched to TOU rates, and last month I saved a LOT on my regular electricity as well as my car charging! I would recommend checking with your local utility to see if they offer similar pricing plans. My first bill with my S was $300 with the normal rate plan. My second month was $200 with the TOU rate plan. I used almost the same electricty the second month as the first. My normal monthly charges for electrcity were around $120-150 prior to my S. So I am looking at seeing $50-80 extra per month. And I have driven 3900 miles in the two months I have owned my S. Depending on your driving, this may help you calculate your cost.. I was averaging $350 per month in gas, so this is a nice monthly savings!

I am a SDGE customer and my service just switched to TOU rates, and last month I saved a LOT on my regular electricity as well as my car charging! I would recommend checking with your local utility to see if they offer similar pricing plans. My first bill with my S was $300 with the normal rate plan. My second month was $200 with the TOU rate plan. I used almost the same electricty the second month as the first. My normal monthly charges for electrcity were around $120-150 prior to my S. So I am looking at seeing $50-80 extra per month. And I have driven 3900 miles in the two months I have owned my S. Depending on your driving, this may help you calculate your cost.. I was averaging $350 per month in gas, so this is a nice monthly savings!

Good to hear. I'm in San Clemente and taking delivery this week

I don't have my car yet, but I set up a spreadsheet to try to predict my utility bills. Since this is for budgeting reasons, I estimated HIGH, so take that into account.

I'm estimating 6 kWh / day of vampire load based on tezco's numbers measured at the wall, which seems to be typical. (This will drop if the sleep mode is reinstated.)

I'm estimating 0.5 kWh / mile also based on tezco's worst-case numbers (with high heater and defroster use), because we live in a terrible, terrible climate here. Pretty much everyone on this forum who is not dealing with winter is reporting roughly 0.3 kWh / mile.

These should give you a solid basis for doing your own estimates. (Thanks, tezco!)

I think your math is off. no way it costs you $100+ to charge your car, at 40-50miles/day.

using your figures, i get $65. using the calculator on the Tesla website, I get about $32.
It depends on what tier you're on. If you stay on the residential schedule you might be on tier 4. Luckily Edison has a Electric vehicle plan TOU which saves about 30%. Only 2 tiers compared to 4