Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Bill has Increased Substantially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some cases you can check for a flat rate...since I work 12hr nights I charge during the day. I pay $0.12/kWh and am home during the day running A/C in the summer. Ideally charging off peak would be best with $0.08/kWh. I don’t work weekends so if I’m home I loose out in savings as weekends and holidays are off peak rates. Luckily I have free work charging (slow 4kW 250V 16A) which covers 50% of my daily driving.

You are lucky. If I happen to go over 1000kwk in summer, anything over will bill at .64/kWh I was informed. Luckily, my solar goes crazy in summer, plus gave us electric car credit. They currently owe me 2500.
We have a 2018 MX and installed a solar system plus battery. So far SCE owes us $400. More importantly we installed this because we live in an area subject to power outages during wind events so the power system we have gives us peace of mind. We will have power for our freezer full of steaks and if we are judicious with its use have a functioning car when the local pumps are out.

What is your electric rate? It possible it could be that high. You're driving 3000-3500 miles per month it sounds like and all of that driving is being supported by home charging? Plus it's winter so you're efficiency is way down. My electric bill only went up $30-40 but my rates are only 5 cents per kWh and I don't drive nearly that much.

What?!

The best rate I get on my TOU is 13 cents (10PM-8AM). How do I get anywhere near 5 cents.

Oh man.

Gulf Power's time plan for evening hours includes a higher rate in the day. I am retired and not able to reduce energy use during the day so the savings is not there for me. Luckily I pay 11.5 cents so not outrageous compared to some I am reading about.

I put in the Emporia power monitor system since we have 2 Teslas (X & 3) to see their impact. Calculating the mileage and use we had a pretty good increase but honestly compared to the gas cost for an ICE it was less than a third. Was the power company estimating use and then had to catchup one month due to the increase from the Tesla?

yeah, that's the issue. even if the off peak rate is lower, for many people unless you drive a lot and the EV constitutes a big part of total consumption the on peak hits you for consumption you can't move easily (heating/AC, cooking if you have electric stove, etc).

Gulf Power's time plan for evening hours includes a higher rate in the day. I am retired and not able to reduce energy use during the day so the savings is not there for me. Luckily I pay 11.5 cents so not outrageous compared to some I am reading about.

powerwall or other battery backup may have utility if you get frequent outages, but as a time of use shifter wonder if the ROI is anywhere reasonable. between high install cost, efficiency loss, and the fading of capacity over time, would seem only practical if you have sky high rate differential and pretty high usage. Let's say 20kWh battery system using 75% of its capacity daily, means you can time shift 15kWh/day. Let's say 10c/kWh difference, $1.50 per day savings. x365 days= $550/year savings. Figure in 1-2% capacity loss per year? Or even ignoring the capacity loss, 550/yr x 20 yr = $11,000. Can you get a 20kWh battery system installed for 11k?

That said, even if you don't have that deal- it may be cheaper for you to get a powerwall to power your house every day during the peak times and recharge (even without solar) on the non-peak times and completely switch to the time of use billing. It looks like the difference is pretty significant here in the Hudson Valley between flat rate and time of use off rates.

powerwall or other battery backup may have utility if you get frequent outages, but as a time of use shifter wonder if the ROI is anywhere reasonable. between high install cost, efficiency loss, and the fading of capacity over time, would seem only practical if you have sky high rate differential and pretty high usage. Let's say 20kWh battery system using 75% of its capacity daily, means you can time shift 15kWh/day. Let's say 10c/kWh difference, $1.50 per day savings. x365 days= $550/year savings. Figure in 1-2% capacity loss per year? Or even ignoring the capacity loss, 550/yr x 20 yr = $11,000. Can you get a 20kWh battery system installed for 11k?

This is the way I rationalized the PW setup. In CA, we have an SGIP incentive which, depending on when you get in, is $3k to $4k per battery. Then you also get to enjoy the 30% fed tax credit (if you have Solar).

So let’s say a 27kw system (2 PWs + gateway + labor/install) runs about $20k. You get $6k back from the feds and 6-8k back from the state and you are under $10k.

It’s doable.

Now 26%, next year 22% tax credit. I guess missed my chance when we got solar a few years ago. Cost was higher, public safety power shutoff (PSPS) not as frequent. What was your calculated break even point? For my solar, I calculated ~8-10 yr equivalent, so even if we got hit with a big earthquake or the house burned down, highly likely to make at least the break even point, then all gravy from there out. With PSPS there's the added benefit of some power while everyone else is totally down or having to drag out their generators I guess. Maybe an additional $50 per day value for the 2-4 days per year with PSPS events?