Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Bill has Increased Substantially

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a 2017 Model X. I have the Nema 14-50 outlet and use the tesla charger that plugs into that. My electric bill has gone up about 200 dollars per month. I find this to be very high compared to what others have shared. Is keeping the charger plugged into the outlet at all times a potential cause? I only charge at night for about 6 hours. I drive about 100-120 miles per day. Charge my battery up to only 200 miles which is about 80ish percent full capacity. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks everyone in advance for their input, this forum has been great.

PS I live in long island NY.

What is your electric rate? It possible it could be that high. You're driving 3000-3500 miles per month it sounds like and all of that driving is being supported by home charging? Plus it's winter so you're efficiency is way down. My electric bill only went up $30-40 but my rates are only 5 cents per kWh and I don't drive nearly that much.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan and Bry2001
Sounds dumb but maybe get teslafi to monitor your car. I've configured mine with the different rates I pay (time of use) to see how much the car has cost me. Helps us understand how much more our power bill will be.

Screenshot_20200306-105054~2.png

Reactions: Watts_Up
I put a huge solar system in. We have ridiculous rates in San Diego, so solar was a must. I can track daily. Charged my x and 3
Yesterday and used 75kwh. Solar sent back 12. When not charging, I send back 40 but use 12. So cars really drink juice. I charge with Tesla wall charger and my x charges at 72. The 3 at 48. We have an electric car rate between 12pm and 6am. I know my friends with no solar use that plan. Check with your utility.

Reactions: Tac0Meat
I put a huge solar system in. We have ridiculous rates in San Diego, so solar was a must. I can track daily. Charged my x and 3
Yesterday and used 75kwh. Solar sent back 12. When not charging, I send back 40 but use 12. So cars really drink juice. I charge with Tesla wall charger and my x charges at 72. The 3 at 48. We have an electric car rate between 12pm and 6am. I know my friends with no solar use that plan. Check with your utility.
Yeah I think our rates are pretty cheap.
Winter
$0.08 from 9pm - 9am
$0.10 from 9am - 2pm / 6pm - 9pm
$0.14 from 2pm - 6pm
Summer
$0.08 from 9pm - 9am
$0.14 from 9am - 2pm / 6pm - 9pm
$0.18 from 2pm - 6pm

Purchased a 2017 Model X. I have the Nema 14-50 outlet and use the tesla charger that plugs into that. My electric bill has gone up about 200 dollars per month. I find this to be very high compared to what others have shared. Is keeping the charger plugged into the outlet at all times a potential cause? I only charge at night for about 6 hours. I drive about 100-120 miles per day. Charge my battery up to only 200 miles which is about 80ish percent full capacity. Anyone have any recommendations?

Here is some quick math. 110 x 22 (week) = 2200 + (my guess for weekend) another 500 miles = 2700 miles divided by 300 w/mile - 9 kilowatts. $200 / 9 = 22.2 cents per kilowatt. Now that is also assuming no loss but efficiency is at best 90% from wall to car so that makes rate closer to 20 cents.

20c per kWh including transmission costs doesn't sound that crazy, assuming you get about 3 miles/kWh like Iowa2 calculated.. Just web searched LIPA seem to indicate cost per kWh around 10c, dunno if that's including transmission/service. A properly operating charger shouldn't draw that much with no load, if you're paranoid unplug during unused times or flip the breaker for the outlet on which it's attached. You may also be getting hit with excess usage tariffs (rate goes up the more you use) but many utilities have lower off peak rate for EV owners to spread the demand load, or/and change the threshold at which the excess usage rates kick in. Talk to your power company about if they have any different rate plans for EV owner. Look at your old (pre EV) and new bill kWh/mo totals, divide total miles by total kWh, and see how that compares to other X owners.

Here is some quick math. 110 x 22 (week) = 2200 + (my guess for weekend) another 500 miles = 2700 miles divided by 300 w/mile - 9 kilowatts. $200 / 9 = 22.2 cents per kilowatt. Now that is also assuming no loss but efficiency is at best 90% from wall to car so that makes rate closer to 20 cents.

I think there are several issues with your calculation.

first, I think a Model X is closer to 390 Wh/hour

Next you divided when you should have multiplied and then your division is off by a factor of 100.

try this

miles watts-hours/ mile Miles * watt-hours / mile = watt-hour kilo watt hours monthly cost cost / kWh
2700 390 1,053,000 1,053.00 $200 $ 0.1899

*****sorry for the crappy formatting

this is consistent with Long Island electric rates

BTW if you drove the same amount and gas was $2.70 a gallon at 30 miles per gallon it would cost you $243 a month

I’m in the same region. Granted I’m net metered and 100% on solar; I still track my generation, and usage extensively. Im finding each Tesla is consuming 12,000kwh/year on the house/solar meter. That’s averaging 20,000 miles per year. Meanwhile the car shows a much lower figure. So while my trip meter consumption is an average of 380wh/mi. My electric meter reading comes out to roughly 600wh/mi. I’m either losing a lot through charging efficiency loss, or the computer calculations are calculating in a way that is not accounting for total energy consumption. The later is likely as gas cars can often do the same. For example, energy drain in standby doesn’t show as wh/mi consumption, and I’m not sure plugged in preheating does either. I think it calculates the moment it’s out of standby and On.

My electric rate is about 15c/kWh if I actually pay it. which comes out to $150/mo. So in line with yours.

You might be able to cut your cost depending on who you provider is. I found that if I wait to charge after peak hour (after 8PM), I save approx. .14-.18 pr kwh.
I don't drive as much as you do but I hink it could help in the long run.

That's sounds about right considering how much you are driving. See if you can get a EV rate plan for your electric company. I am on an EV rate plan that cost 9-10 cents per kWH if I charge between 11pm to 8am, and 40 cents at peak hours. You are still saving significantly compared to gas though.

I think there are several issues with your calculation.

first, I think a Model X is closer to 390 Wh/hour

Next you divided when you should have multiplied and then your division is off by a factor of 100.

try this

miles watts-hours/ mile Miles * watt-hours / mile = watt-hour kilo watt hours monthly cost cost / kWh
2700 390 1,053,000 1,053.00 $200 $ 0.1899

*****sorry for the crappy formatting

this is consistent with Long Island electric rates

BTW if you drove the same amount and gas was $2.70 a gallon at 30 miles per gallon it would cost you $243 a month

Thanks for correcting my stupid mistake.

I'm sorry this doesn't help you in Long Island directly- but Central Hudson (in Hudson Valley) has a special EV deal. They will turn on the time of day rate system (pay more from 2pm-7pm workdays; less every other time) for 1 year. At the end of the year if the flat rate system would have cost you less, they will refund the extra money you paid. A pretty good try before you buy deal. Maybe your electric company has something like that? Electric Vehicle Time of Use Rate

That said, even if you don't have that deal- it may be cheaper for you to get a powerwall to power your house every day during the peak times and recharge (even without solar) on the non-peak times and completely switch to the time of use billing. It looks like the difference is pretty significant here in the Hudson Valley between flat rate and time of use off rates.

I'm sorry this doesn't help you in Long Island directly- but Central Hudson (in Hudson Valley) has a special EV deal. They will turn on the time of day rate system (pay more from 2pm-7pm workdays; less every other time) for 1 year. At the end of the year if the flat rate system would have cost you less, they will refund the extra money you paid. A pretty good try before you buy deal. Maybe your electric company has something like that? Electric Vehicle Time of Use Rate

That said, even if you don't have that deal- it may be cheaper for you to get a powerwall to power your house every day during the peak times and recharge (even without solar) on the non-peak times and completely switch to the time of use billing. It looks like the difference is pretty significant here in the Hudson Valley between flat rate and time of use off rates.

Are you national grid? If so, how do you check the time of use rates? The powerwall idea is pretty interesting.

How much does your electricity cost per kWh?
When the price of electricity last change?
When did you buy the Model X?
Have you replaced any appliances since you bought the Model X?

Are you national grid? If so, how do you check the time of use rates? The powerwall idea is pretty interesting.

Central Hudson (FORTIS)- check out that link in my post. Central Hudson also has a listing of the past rates for 2 years (I think) so you can compare... AND if you get the power (not transmission) from someone else, they also compare your costs vs you just staying with their default rates- I think every 6 months they give me a snapshot. So for my Nat Gas I have a different supplier, so they tell me how much I saved or "overpaid" by using a different supplier; same with electric.

In Winter my Raven X LR is about equivalent to a 30 mpg vehicle due to high electric rates ($0.26 / kwh), summer maybe 40 mpg.
In most of New England unless you have Solar you're not saving much on fuel with any EV.

Thank goodness I have Solar.

40 mpg for a Vehicle the size and Performance of a Model X is pretty impressive though.

So here is a snapshot from Central Hudson RE rates for EV time of use billing. You can see that the rates for the electric itself changes, and they don't tell you what that is on this page- BUT so does the delivery charges- and that's where the big win is in this area.
2020-03-06_15-35-15.png