TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Electric Boats, I mean, why not?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by brianstorms, May 28, 2013.

1. brianstorms

brianstorms Member

Always wanted to get a boat. The costs for fuel are insane. The costs for maintenance and marinas are insane.

Setting aside maintenance and marinas . . . let's look at fuel.

Where is the Elon Musk for yachts and pleasure boats? Nothing huge, 30, 40 footers, with a sleeper cabin etc, but no gas engine. Perhaps instead, one, (two?) Model S 85kWh battery packs and a Tesla motor or two :)

Understanding how ridiculously inefficient boats are (in gas terms they get gallons per mile), I always wondered if anyone had done the math on whether Battery Electric Vessels were even technically feasible.

2. TI Sailor

TI Sailor Member

You could put the battery in the keel instead of lead pigs, but given the chance for salt water intrusion, I'd be reluctant to have that as my only power source. That's why I have a sailboat...and a diesel engine backup. :biggrin:

3. clea

clea Member

4. TI Sailor

TI Sailor Member

I should have also included that, given the battery's weight, the hull would in all likelihood be displacement rather than planing. Thus the mention of a keel.

5. efxjim

efxjim Member

Here is the only available ski boat I know that is electric.
    232SE