TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Electric boats

Discussion in 'Future Vehicles' started by ZsoZso, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZsoZso

ZsoZso Member

I would love to see Tesla expand to other transportation areas, such as electric boats.
    I just did a quick search what I could find in Ontario for electric boats and this is what I found:

Electric Boats
    Electric Boats manufacturer | Canadian Electric Boat Company
    Electric and Solar Pontoon Boats Company – Princecraft

They are slow, short range, inferior and cost more than gasoline boats at same size and utility, exact same problems as with EV cars outside of Tesla. Here is a quote from the first site listed above:

I'd like to purchase an electric boat in the next 3 years, but given the above offerings I am very much underwhelmed. I believe it should be possible to make an electric boat that is faster and better than gasoline versions the same way as Tesla did with cars. I do not accept the golf-cart model. Unfortunately I lack the skills to do my own conversion: buying a boat + a Tesla battery pack + drive unit from salvage and building it together, but I might be pushed to learn enough to do it as a hobby project if I can't find a suitable ready solution. However, I would much prefer to buy a complete solution.

2. Krash

Krash Uncorked

• Like x 1
  3. bxr140

bxr140 Member

I'd really like to see an electric sailboat. Mass isn't a problem (you could probably do some clever things with the keel...) and total energy requirements are pretty low, not to mention the various power generation opportunities.

I get that it's a bit of a small market, but it also seems like relatively low hanging fruit.

4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Electric boats from Duffy and Electra Craft are super popular on inland lakes and ocean bays.

They are relatively slow, and that is part of their charm...Cocktail Speed.

Charge last for a nice cruise, at a pace that allows you to socialize, both with your passengers, and those along the shore.

Newport Beach CA. has a tremendous number of these. Great for cruising the bay.

5. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

• Like x 1