Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric car charger plans delayed by Government amid criticism over lack of vision and targets…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"the amount of funding given out to local authorities for charging infrastructure more than halved between 2020 and 2021"

Wow! All talk and no trousers as usual
I think the funding was on the basis of some type of fund matching i.e. the local authorities have to spend money to claim the govt money. So I don't think the govt pulled the funding I just think the local authorities just cant afford to spend the money in the first place. Especially in a pandemic
From their point of view it is a new expense for them that they could do without.
Long term do we want the councils owning charging anyway? I am not a small govt advocate by any means but I have never been to a petrol station and thought this would be so much better if the council was running it.

Let’s be honest the report is fair/good but the title is sensationalist clickbait. The delay from ‘Autumn’ to ‘this year‘ is afterall only a few months. Planning and making the right long term decision at this point is more important than rushing.

You can’t just hand out £500m in case you waste it. The gov are thinking about owning the power supply at Motorway Services and leasing it to charging operators. There’s quangos, legals, politics, commercials, decisions etc this stuff does take time.

I think the funding was on the basis of some type of fund matching i.e. the local authorities have to spend money to claim the govt money. So I don't think the govt pulled the funding I just think the local authorities just cant afford to spend the money in the first place. Especially in a pandemic
From their point of view it is a new expense for them that they could do without.
Long term do we want the councils owning charging anyway? I am not a small govt advocate by any means but I have never been to a petrol station and thought this would be so much better if the council was running it.
The council doesn't run current installations, they only pay private companies like PodPoint to install chargers. The issue is that you can't have everyone charging at a place equivalent to a petrol station, you need to be supplying on-street charging to those people who live in houses that have been built without garages or proper drives. Like most modern housing.

Reactions: Js1977 and Jason71
The council doesn't run current installations, they only pay private companies like PodPoint to install chargers. The issue is that you can't have everyone charging at a place equivalent to a petrol station, you need to be supplying on-street charging to those people who live in houses that have been built without garages or proper drives. Like most modern housing.
I know, I was being slightly facetious. But there is still the issue of maintenance. Not sure how that works with these public private partnerships but the "council" ones seem to be the ones that stay broken for months