Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Car hit by thunder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
everybody know when car hit by thunder is safety.how about the electric car?the battery will destroy or get fire?

Doubt it. The battery casing and electronics housings are Faraday-cages and as for the Roadster safety had of course to be tested.
2628631330_0a303930ed_o.jpg

This article is about what happens to a car (any car) struck by lightning: http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/vehicle_strike.html

Actually I think getting struck by lightning in an ICE is MUCH MORE DANGEROUS.

Lightning Safety: The Myths and the Basics :: Storm Highway

If no structural shelter is available, hard-topped automobiles offer sufficient lightning protection. Vehicles such as golf carts and convertibles do not provide any lightning shelter. Roll up the windows and don't touch any part of the metal frame (like resting your arm on the window) or any wired device in the vehicle (including the steering wheel or plugged-in cellular phone). A direct strike to your car will flow through the frame of the vehicle and usually jump over or through the tires to reach ground. Most lightning incidents to cars result in one or more flat tires and damage to the electrical system, but no injury to the occupants.

If lightning does hit your car, it's a good idea to stop and check the vehicle. It's not uncommon for a strike to ignite fuel and result in a fire or explosion.

In a normal car you've got this stuff called FUEL which all it takes is a spark to cause a fire or EXPLOSION. You are driving around in a potential BOMB.

I'd feel a lot safer in an electrical car during a lightning storm than driving around in a car with 5-20 gallons of explosive fuel that only needs a little spark to blow myself up.

This reminds me of the time I thought I was going to die.

It made me realize how crazy it is we drive around all day long with the most explosive liquid on earth and don't really think twice about it. The gasoline is so flammable, even the fumes can catch on fire. Yet we are all conditioned to think there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm at a gas station filling up (this is in my days in South Florida). An old lady gets out of the car, she's pretty old, 70 or 80 years old, and while filling up her tank......She lights up a cigarette.

I flashed back to the movie, Zoolander, where a bunch of guys are having a friendly gasoline fight, spraying gasoline all over each other, when one of them lights a cigarette and they all blow up. Tragic freak accident...Who knew you can't light a cigarette during a gasoline fight...:tongue:

I thought to myself...Oh no...I could die like in Zoolander...but that was a joke..this is real, how embarrassing.

The guy inside the gas station comes running out, and starts yelling at the old lady. He's telling her she can't smoke, but she's ignoring him. She's acting like she's some tough chick from like the Movie Grease or something. She may have been, because she is old enough to be Rizzo today. Finally he yells at her to step back. The funny thing is he seems nervous to get too close to her. It's almost like he's thinking if he should just make a run for it or he's unsure what to do. This is a fairly big sized station with a big carwash and convenience store and about 8-16 pumps.

The lady finally moves about a foot from the car and continues to ignore and smoke. It seems like she doesn't really care if she dies...Like she's lived long enough. He keeps yelling at her to move further away. She takes another 2 steps away from her car. He keeps yelling for her to go further back.

In this 30 second exchange, I top off my car and decide to just get the hell out of there. I quickly pull away and keep looking in my rear view mirror to see if the gas station explodes. Thankfully it didn't.

Some day we will look back at gasoline and think...man that was a primitive way to fuel our cars.

I don't think anything will happen if an electric car gets hit by thunder. Lightning on the other hand
Yep... thunder's just a sound caused by lighting.

Although not a Model S, this is a pretty old video of the Leaf driving thru deep water and being hit by artificial lightning: Nissan LEAF Test Drive - YouTube.

The on-the-road driving tests at the end aren't that interesting. The guy behind the wheel of the Paris portion might be the Leaf Chief Vehicle Engineer, Kadota-san. I've been to a several hour long meeting w/him present before...