Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric car newbie

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take the plunge and order a leased M3. This will be my first ever electric car in anyway. Before I place the order could I get some help on the following please.

1. How do I go about getting a home charger installed?
2. Do I get a Tesla one or universal one?
3. Are they all compatible to Tesla’s & other manufacture cars or do Tesla’s use a different connection?
4. How much will home installation cost?
5. Realistically how much difference is it in £ per mile based on a diesel car at roughly 35mpg to a M3.

Lastly I am still debating whether to go for the Standard + or the Long Range. Think based on my quotes it’s around £60 per month more! The 4wd, updated Sat Nav & the 5 heated seats are the things that are drawing me into the LR version however it’s £60 a month more!

Thanks
Andy

I am about to take the plunge and order a leased M3. This will be my first ever electric car in anyway. Before I place the order could I get some help on the following please.

2. Do I get a Tesla one or universal one?
3. Are they all compatible to Tesla’s & other manufacture cars or do Tesla’s use a different connection?
4. How much will home installation cost?
5. Realistically how much difference is it in £ per mile based on a diesel car at roughly 35mpg to a M3.

Lastly I am still debating whether to go for the Standard + or the Long Range. Think based on my quotes it’s around £60 per month more! The 4wd, updated Sat Nav & the 5 heated seats are the things that are drawing me into the LR version however it’s £60 a month more!

Thanks
Andy

Welcome to the forum Andy!

As for the home charger, there are lots of options. Take a look through this thread to help you decide:
[URL="https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/3932848/"]Best home charger[/URL]

All of the charger manufacturers have their own approved installers. Once you’ve picked your charger, the manufacturer will put you in touch with your local installer.

There is a £500 OLEV grant you can get towards most chargers (but not the Tesla one) and that is claimed on your behalf by the installer. Budget on adding about the same again for the total cost.

The Model 3 uses a Type 2 home charging connector. Many other EVs use this, but not all.

Running costs can be as low a 1p to 1.5p per mile if you charge on an off-peak tariff like Octopus GO. I do about 95% of my charging at home.

Personally, if you can stretch to it, I’d go for the LR battery. I’m now on my third EV, and believe me, range is king. You always lose range in the winter, so the LR gives you more of a buffer.

I hope that’s helped to answer some of your questions. Keep ‘em coming!

Cheers,
Roy

Reactions: adsheff
There's a home charger guide here that might be of interest.

Main difference between the Tesla Wall Charger (TWC) and others, and I'm sure I'll be corrected below if I've missed something, is cost (TWC tends to be more expensive); TWC is not considered "smart" so is not eligible for the UK OLEV grant; TWC handy if you are likely to have more than one as they can be connected together to balance the load (apparently). Any charger with a "Type 2" plug will be compatible with a Tesla (and most other recent EVs too, it seems to be the European de-facto EV connector).

Further to what RoyW said, installation costs also depends on whether you get the OLEV grant, the model you choose and where you want it installed: the current state of the mains wiring (if any) between it and your mains meter may require upgrading to support the high currents involved. Sometimes the large fuse between your meter and the grid might also need upgrading in which case, I believe, you're at the mercy of your network operator.

EDIT: Here's a video that might be of interest as well...

Reactions: Roy W.
Hi Another newbie here just ordered m3 after running a phev for the last 4 years
Very excited taken 2 years to get my company to agree ev is the future.

Re running cost gov estimated cost is 4p for the bev and 14p for phev ( or 22p for a 2l phev) so it's one hell of a saving, however with the right energy plan it will be a lot less.

Re home charger as Roy says there is a grant for most of the cost , I have had a rolec home charger for 4 years and it's never let me down ( probably cursed it now) however make sure you have it on a dedicated 32amp supply so you have 7kw not the 3.6kw otherwise will take 20hrs to charge rather than 8.
If I remember from when I last looked a rolec smart charger ( not really required now with the new software) is £245
Note if you have the grant they install a usage meter you need to keep active for 2 years .

Hope this helps
G
PS I would go LR but unfortunately I was restricted to sr+ but can not wait

A simpler sum:
If a tesla has a theoretical real range of 00 miles then allowing for UK winters, heaters etc and conversion of electricty you pump into the car and how much gets stored in the battery (there's always losses) you can guesstimate that 75Kwh averages 200 miles. So it depends on how much your leccy costs - not everyone can get smart meters and good deals.
You also need to factor in initial costs. depreciation on the more expensive vehicle, insurance costs etc and the hidden losses from what else you could have done with that money.

There is no grant for the Tesla wall charger so it will work out a lot more expensive. A subsidised alternative will cost around £400-£500, fitted

Range is important but the Tesla Supercharger network alleviates that concern and your M3 will be able to charge reasonably quickly via lots of other public rapid chargers.

Our MS70D has slightly less range than a SR M3 and without an adapter (which I'm still not inclined to buy) has far less scope for rapid public charging but in 6 months of ownership and 7K miles of driving I've never needed to use public charging at all, just occasional superchargibg. Our car is also slower to Supercharge.

Remember that you can effectively have a full (if smaller) 'tank' reach morning by home charging overnight at cheap rate. Don't exceed 90% charge for routine charging (best for the battery health).

What kind of trips are you likely to be doing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
Do I get a Tesla one or universal one?

Tesla not eligible for OLEV grant, but OLEV installations are only by approved fitters and they often seem to work out "more expensive", to cover the red tape etc. so can be worth looking at a non-OLEV charger and your local Sparky fitting it. Non-OLEV likely to be more expensive, overall, but you might decide you prefer something - aesthetics perhaps?

The Tesla Wall charger has a button you can push to stop the charge and release the cable. The alternative is digging your phone out and pressing the APP button, or reaching into the car to stop it on the dash. For some people this has been important to the decision.

Tesla Wall Charger supports 3-Phase (if you happen to have that at your house) and load-balancing if you have multiple charger / EVs :) Plenty of OLEV-approved chargers also have those abilities.

How much will home installation cost?

On top of the OLEV grant generally £300-£500 - if your distribution panel is at the front of your house within spitting distance of where you park your car ... but if your distribution box is round the back, or you have to dig up your drive :(, then all the hassle of fitting a cable and making good the decorations. OLEV fitters seem to be looking for "easy jobs" so if your install is difficult you might be better off with your local friendly sparky and a non-OLEV charger. Local sparky is likely to be far more happy for you to "pull the cable" yourself, to save cost (if your installation has a long cable run / outdoor trench etc)

You can get a quote for each and compare of course :)

Realistically how much difference is it in £ per mile based on a diesel car at roughly 35mpg to a M3

A Model-3 will do 4 miles per kWh (a "unit" of Electricity) on a good day, and 3 miles on a not-so-good-day. For short journeys, in winter, it will be less efficient - but your 35MPG car isn't going to manage that on a cold, winter, short journey either :)

Assuming you have home charging, and will charge the car overnight most of the time, then Off Peak rates (e.g. Octopus Go) can be around 5p a unit ... so, best case, 4 miles for 5p :) In reality there are some losses, but reasonably safe to assume 2p - 3p a mile

Diesel £1.30 per Litre, 35 MPG = 16.8p per mile

Also to consider:

Reduced servicing costs
Brakes will last 100,000-150,000 miles
Do you have free parking for EVs? London Congestion charge = £10 p.a.
But Luxury Car Tax in Yr2+

I am still debating whether to go for the Standard + or the Long Range

Have a look at A Better Route Planner and try all your longer journeys. You can choose Model - SR or LR - and whether the weather is a "nice Summer's day" or "foul" :) and it will tell you where you would have to stop, and for how long.

The LR is a significant additional chunk-of-change ... and looks expensive for "pure range", but for me the time it saves is worthwhile

Travel further before having to charge
Thus some journeys need no charging stop
Charge less - you only need to charge just-enough to get to destination, you don't "fill the tank" like Petrol, so LR needs less top-up than SR to get to destination
Charge into "taper" less often - Supercharging slows down dramatically above 80%, so best to Supercharge 10%-80% and that is more miles in LR than SR
LR charges faster than SR - (higher kW rate) so more miles-per-minute

You should be able to simulate all those benefits with ABRP

Reactions: vitesse and Roy W.
There is no grant for the Tesla wall charger so it will work out a lot more expensive

Not always "a lot more expensive" - e.g. if installation is complicated and Local Sparky will do the job cheaper than an OLEV approved fitter will do ... that saving can be offset against the cost of Non-OLEV Wall Charger (I got mine off eBay :) ). The Tesla RRP is about £450

Reactions: vitesse
Not always "a lot more expensive" - e.g. if installation is complicated and Local Sparky will do the job cheaper than an OLEV approved fitter will do ... that saving can be offset against the cost of Non-OLEV Wall Charger (I got mine off eBay :) ). The Tesla RRP is about £450

..or you live out in the sticks and suffer ruralism - no olev fitter would come out this way so local sparky only option

Local Sparky will do the job cheaper

Second that, even if the local sparky does the preparation: I got my local sparky to upgrade the cable to the garage and fit a new consumer unit & earth rod on the end. All the OLEV guy needs to do is mount and wire up the charger on the same backboard as the new consumer unit.

Range is important but the Tesla Supercharger network alleviates that concern

Unless your nearest superchargers are ~100 miles away and on the other side of Snowdonia... but I get your point ;)

I found I got the best price on a charger by downloading the list of installers and contacting the small independant ones in my area rather than using a manufactures website or a flashy national installer.
That may have been because my installation is very simple so having seen it he was able to quote lower than a standard site unseen charge might be. For the record £375 for rolec 7kw untethered and £450 for tethered after OLEV
Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installers

• Informative
Reactions: arg and Roy W.
On a pedantic note, 35mpg for a diesel competitor to the Model 3 would be very poor wouldn't it? Coming from a big lump of a 2010 mondeo I'd have thought even 45 to be a little pessimistic for something a size down and newer. But anyway, the running cost difference to EV is plenty big enough that this won't change the conclusion.

On a pedantic note, 35mpg for a diesel competitor to the Model 3 would be very poor wouldn't it? Coming from a big lump of a 2010 mondeo I'd have thought even 45 to be a little pessimistic for something a size down and newer. But anyway, the running cost difference to EV is plenty big enough that this won't change the conclusion.
I guess it depends what you think is a competitor, if you are talking in terms of performance you would probably be talking about a Porsche Panamera which theoretically does about 42mpg but I'd say you would be lucky to hit 35 in it lol

Do you need a charger installed? Depends on how much you will be driving. I drive less than 200 miles per week, so I just charge using a normal 13amp domestic socket. 4 hours each night (at 5p per kWh on Octopus) adds 30 miles each night. Very cheap running costs £100 will take me 6,000 miles.
Even if you do 400 miles a week then charging for 8 hours each night will do the job.