Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric car owner charged with stealing 5 cents worth of juice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nigel,

Have you actually read the story or watched the news report about this that I previously linked? http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/...-charged-with-stealing-5-cents-worth-of-juice

The guy's son was playing/practicing tennis at a middle school (its unclear whether he is a student at the school) on a Saturday morning. Every middle school I have seen has had an open parking lot, and usually has free access to their outdoor athletic facilities on weekends, so I don't see where you get trespassing from. Besides, if he was trespassing, you can bet they would have charged him with it.

After plugging in for about twenty minutes, he noticed a police officer inside his car, so he approached him to find out what was going on. There is no indication that the school called the police (I doubt any school employees were even there). I think it is more likely that some bored patrol officer rolled through the parking lot and saw a car plugged into an outlet, and decided to investigate, leading to this silly chain of events.

I agree, we don't know the backstory (if there is one), and I also agree that you should always ask before plugging in.

Have you actually read the story or watched the news report about this that I previously linked? http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/...-charged-with-stealing-5-cents-worth-of-juice

Yes, of course. Although I just looked at it again and see that the police chief now issued a statement saying that:

• Mr. Kamooneh had been previously advised by school personnel that he was not allowed on the tennis courts at any time without permission.
• In spite of that notice, Mr. Kamooneh was on the tennis courts that Saturday afternoon taking lessons.
• He was not there watching his son play tennis
• His son IS NOT a student at the school
• He lives in Decatur, not Chamblee
• He was extremely uncooperative and argumentative with the officer that responded to the call
• He accused the officer of damaging his car - the pre-existing damage is on the officer's video when he first drives up
• Had he just said oops, been cooperative and not claimed damage there would never have been a report
• Sgt. Ford's decision to pursue charges was ultimately driven by the previous notice to Mr. Kamooneh
• If Mr. Kamooneh had heeded the previous notice not to be on the tennis courts without permission the incident would not have occurred
• Sgt. Ford was probably feeling defensive when saying a theft is a theft - he was looking at it as he did nothing wrong

We received a 911 call advising that someone was plugged into the power outlet behind the middle school. The responding officer located the vehicle in the rear of the building at the kitchen loading dock up against the wall with a cord run to an outlet. The officer spent some time trying to determine who's vehicle it was. It was unlocked and he eventually began looking through the interior after verifying it did not belong to the school system.

The officer, his marked patrol vehicle and the electric vehicle were all in clear view of the tennis courts. Eventually, a man on the courts told the officer that the man playing tennis with him owned the vehicle. The officer went to the courts and interviewed the vehicle owner. The officer's initial incident report gives a good indication of how difficult and argumentative the individual was to deal with. He made no attempt to apologize or simply say oops and he wouldn't do it again. Instead he continued being argumentative, acknowledged he did not have permission and then accused the officer of having damaged his car door. The officer told him that was not true and that the vehicle and existing damage was already on his vehicles video camera from when he drove up.

Given the uncooperative attitude and accusations of damage to his vehicle, the officer chose to document the incident on an incident report. The report was listed as misdemeanor theft by taking. The officer had no way of knowing how much power had been consumed, how much it cost nor how long it had been charging.

The report made its way to Sgt Ford's desk for follow up investigation. He contacted the middle school and inquired of several administrative personnel whether the individual had permission to use power. He was advised no. Sgt. Ford showed a photo to the school resource officer who recognized Mr. Kamooneh . Sgt Ford was further advised that Mr. Kamooneh had previously been advised he was not allowed on the school tennis courts without permission from the school . This was apparently due to his interfering with the use of the tennis courts previously during school hours.

Based upon the totality of these circumstances and without any expert advice on the amount of electricity that may have been used, Sgt Ford signed a theft warrant. The warrant was turned over to the DeKalb Sheriff's Dept. for service because the individual lived in Decatur, not Chamblee. This is why he was arrested at a later time.

I am sure that Sgt. Ford was feeling defensive when he said a theft is a theft and he would do it again. Ultimately, he did make the decision to pursue the theft charges, but the decision was based on Mr. Kamooneh having been advised that he was not allowed on the property without permission. Had he complied with that notice none of this would have occurred.

Even on the earlier TV clip the guy admitted to charging there previously, so he knew exactly what he was doing and the police report adds a lot more detail.

Yes, of course. Although I just looked at it again and see that the police chief now issued a statement saying that:

Even on the earlier TV clip the guy admitted to charging there previously, so he knew exactly what he was doing and the police report adds a lot more detail.
That gives a lot of context. So basically he had it coming with his attitude and previous actions.

Nonsense. Public drinking fountains are put there for public use.
There are plenty of power outlets for public use as well. How can one tell an outlet in a public place intended for public use apart from one not intended for public use? The short answer is, you can't. If you don't want people plugging into an outlet in a public place, you need a sign or a lock.

But regarding this specific instance, I had a slight suspicion the electricity theft was merely a pretext. It's now apparent they just wanted to make his life inconvenient so that he would stay away from the school.

I agree, with that extra information and context, the guy deserved to be charged with something, more likely trespassing.

The patrol officer could have simply run the plates to get the owner's information. I doubt he had legal cause to start rummaging through the car to "determine who's vehicle it was".

The fact that the Police chief felt the need to issue a statement shows that they were probably a little embarrassed by the bad publicity from the theft charge (especially without the background information). This all shows that it never pays to be a jerk with the police. They will generally find a way to make you pay for it.

But regarding this specific instance, I had a slight suspicion the electricity theft was merely a pretext. It's now apparent they just wanted to make his life inconvenient so that he would stay away from the school.

Quite possible that you're unaware of school life in the U.S. these days. When we were growing up schools were "public places" but over the last couple years (and especially since Sandy Hook) schools are behind fences and locked doors, many have security guards or are regularly patrolled by police. Even parents don't get to take their kids inside the schools anymore, we all have drop-off (and pick-up) car lines.

This guy apparently lied on TV about his son going to school there and playing tennis. He also apparently tried to lie about damage to his car, accusing the police officer (oops, the cops have dash cams...); he had been told that he couldn't be on the property but continued to go there and charge his car. Was the cop trying to make life inconvenient for Kamooneh? Probably, but now more details are out it also looks like the guy deserves it.

I know the officer that responded. The guy initially pretended it wasn't his car then gave the officer a hard time. Do you have permission to plug your car in here? DOES YOUR PATROL CAR HAVE PERMISSION TO POLLUTE THE AIR? Can I see your driver's license? WHY, CAN I SEE YOUR ID? Then he falsely accused the officer of damaging his door, so a report now had to be made.

The detective then followed up the incident and found not only did he not have permission to charge there, he had been told not to come back to the property. All of these details were known by the reporter, Doug Richards, but purposely left out of his news story. Do you think you got the whole story? Also Ga law does not provide for a ticket in this situation, it is arrest warrant or nothing.

I know the officer that responded. The guy initially pretended it wasn't his car then gave the officer a hard time. Do you have permission to plug your car in here? DOES YOUR PATROL CAR HAVE PERMISSION TO POLLUTE THE AIR? Can I see your driver's license? WHY, CAN I SEE YOUR ID? Then he falsely accused the officer of damaging his door, so a report now had to be made.

The detective then followed up the incident and found not only did he not have permission to charge there, he had been told not to come back to the property. All of these details were known by the reporter, Doug Richards, but purposely left out of his news story. Do you think you got the whole story? Also Ga law does not provide for a ticket in this situation, it is arrest warrant or nothing.

Sorry, I dont buy a word of this first time poster. Multiple news stories by MULTIPLE reporters and none of this has been said. Also, if he had been "told not to come back" the proper charge is trespass and had this guy been the ass you claim, they would have added every law he broke.

Nice try though, but I know a sock puppet when I see one

- - - Updated - - -

, it is arrest warrant or nothing.

And a simple cost/benefit analsys dictates the thing to do here was NOTHING, no get into a d*ck measuring contest with taxpayer funds.

Sorry, I dont buy a word of this first time poster. Multiple news stories by MULTIPLE reporters and none of this has been said. Also, if he had been "told not to come back" the proper charge is trespass and had this guy been the ass you claim, they would have added every law he broke.

Nice try though, but I know a sock puppet when I see one.

Maybe give the new guy the benefit of the doubt.....besides which the now released police statement largely corroborates what the poster said.

This guy apparently lied on TV about his son going to school there and playing tennis. He also apparently tried to lie about damage to his car, accusing the police officer (oops, the cops have dash cams...); he had been told that he couldn't be on the property but continued to go there and charge his car. Was the cop trying to make life inconvenient for Kamooneh? Probably, but now more details are out it also looks like the guy deserves it.
Sources? UPDATE: Found this article: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ga-man-arrested-charging-electric-car-local-middle/story?id=21098590

Last edited:
Can't seem to find the story now, but a while back a homeless man in (I think) Florida was arrested for charging his cell phone in a park when right across the street there were free EV charging stations. The article pointed out the irony.

Reading the account from the officer, it's clear the guy had it coming (if the account is true), but they really should have charged him with trespassing if he really wasn't allowed to be there. That charge would have actually made sense.

So think about this. For this "theft" of a nickel's worth of electricity, a county employee called 911, engaging another county employee in conversation about the theft in progress. Said employee then dispatched two more government employees to "respond" to the scene, engage in conversation with the "complainant" and the "thief"... but wait, there is more... They decide to let him go. These officers then file a report, submit said report to the prosecutors office involving at minimum 2 more government employees, who then go ti a judge to get a warrant, engaging 2 more employees (assuming the judge has a clerk) who then passes that warrant back to the police involving a supervisor and a dispatcher to send two officers to arrest this "thief" who then is transported to jail, engaging at least two more county workers at the jail...

Anyone keeping track of the cost of man hours? Still think this wasn't about the "blue state hippie in the electric car?" because having lived in that backwards state, I don't doubt it for a minute.
"How to bankrupt your government"

Getting ugly. 'Theft of power' lands electric-car driver in jail

I was reading this in local & other news websites this morning and it is something to think about. I'm sure many of us including myself were in situations at places like hotels, restaurants, parking garages, schools etc..and have a informmal verbal confirmation with staff to use outlets for charging but things could change before we knew it.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/04/21756802-theft-of-power-lands-electric-car-driver-in-jail