Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Cars and Oil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Even With Soaring Oil Prices, Electric Vehicles Will Trickle In
...sales of lithium-ion batteries will slowly start to ramp up in the coming years, thanks to the combined sales of plug-in hybrid, hybrid and electric vehicles. But that trend will also depend on oil prices. At $70 per barrel in 2020, sales of li-ion batteries for vehicles will hit $510 million, but with the price of oil at $200 a barrel, the market for li-ion vehicle batteries could skyrocket to $9 billion.

Next time someone whines about incentives for electrics:

4) Chevron received a $19 million refund from the IRS last year after it made $10 billion in profits in 2009.
6) Valero Energy, the 25th largest company in America with $68 billion in sales last year received a $157 million tax refund check from the IRS and, over the past three years, it received a $134 million tax break from the oil and gas manufacturing tax deduction.
9) ConocoPhillips, the fifth largest oil company in the United States, made $16 billion in profits from 2007 through 2009, but received $451 million in tax breaks through the oil and gas manufacturing deduction.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_732562.htmlOil prices put jolt into electric car sales - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
...When oil hit a record price of $147 a barrel in July 2008, it was a game-changing moment that sparked a serious push to create electric cars and hybrid electric engines that could help wean Americans off oil. Today, crude is back over $100 a barrel and the payoff is the first generation of mass-produced electric cars rolling off production lines...

I was showing the Roadster at an Earthday event last weekend. From having done the same event the year before I can decisively say that when people asked a hundred times "How any miles can it go on a charge?", there was nearly a 100 percent "That's far enough" responses when last year I would have given it a 60-40. The price of gasoline has people rethinking what is important.

I was showing the Roadster at an Earthday event last weekend. From having done the same event the year before I can decisively say that when people asked a hundred times "How any miles can it go on a charge?", there was nearly a 100 percent "That's far enough" responses when last year I would have given it a 60-40. The price of gasoline has people rethinking what is important.

I suspect their expectations have also been reset by publicized Volt and Leaf range.

..sales of lithium-ion batteries will slowly start to ramp up in the coming years, thanks to the combined sales of plug-in hybrid, hybrid and electric vehicles. But that trend will also depend on oil prices. At $70 per barrel in 2020, sales of li-ion batteries for vehicles will hit $510 million, but with the price of oil at $200 a barrel, the market for li-ion vehicle batteries could skyrocket to $9 billion.

lithium-ion batteries are already sold in quantities of billion every year, because they are used in lap-tops. There is no slowly start to ramp up. its just an excuse, why the expensive automotive batteries sells slow. TESLA did right to choose what was already available without any restriction.

The Electric Vehicle Acceptance Tipping Point: $5-A-Gallon Gas | Fast Company
gaspump.jpg

Gas in Hong Kong is >US$10/gallon and electric vehicles are tax free (means 20% to 40% discount on purchase price). I still don't see people here queuing up to buy them or, more importantly, manufacturers bringing them in in any quantity.

There is no place to queue. What manufacturers do you speak of?
The Leaf still has 6 months of waiting lists in the U.S. and they've only made it available in 5 cities.
Has Mitsubishi managed to deliver any iMievs outside of Japan at all?

They desparately need to make cars - I am sure if they had cars, they would bring some to Hong Kong.

I'll happily wager $100 with anyone that they can not find an unsold Nissan Leaf sitting on a lot in the United States in the next year. If they find one, I'll pay them the $100, then buy the car and resell it at a profit.

The Leaf still has 6 months of waiting lists in the U.S. and they've only made it available in 5 cities.

They desparately need to make cars - I am sure if they had cars, they would bring some to Hong Kong.

See: Why Electric Cars Arent Selling - Hong Kong - WSJ

I don't agree with the opinions, but the figures are there (as of Jan 2011).

Mitsubishi, EuAuto and Tesla all sell to consumers in Hong Kong. Leaf is still fleet-only, and not due to be available to consumers until later this year.

I suspect that the Tesla Roadster is already the highest selling EV model in Hong Kong.

The Prius is selling well (I see one or two on every drive I make), but I have yet to see another electric vehicle (other than the Tesla Roadster) on the road here.

Old news. Things are happening too fast to reference something 8 months ancient.

Eric,

Actually six months, and those are the latest figures I've seen - and that the government has released. Government estimate is about 200 more EVs in Hong Kong this year (mostly government/corporate fleets). I keep a close eye on things in Hong Kong, and those are good accurate figures.

Government should be announcing changes to the expressway permit requirement for EVs in Hong Kong, within the next couple of months, and new figures will most likely be released then. Up until then, the latest figures we have are about six months old.

Today: Mitsubishi, EuAuto and Tesla all sell to consumers in Hong Kong. Leaf is still fleet-only, and not due to be available to consumers until later this year. I checked all four of these within the past month.

I'll happily wager $100 with anyone that they can not find an unsold Nissan Leaf sitting on a lot in the United States in the next year. If they find one, I'll pay them the $100, then buy the car and resell it at a profit.

Maybe not in the next year, but I saw one on a lot a few weeks ago. It was only there because someone who had ordered it backed out. There was also a demo model in the lot that wasn't for sale. I drove that and found it generally satisfactory, but it was too small for my needs. The space behind the back seat was only large enough for a single suitcase and a few bags of groceries. Of course I really want the Model S.

You can find them, even at MSRP if you look hard enough.

It's all just changing so fast. I bet those mid Jan numbers were gathered in Nov. (eight months)

I'm not up on your HK expertise but all the delivery numbers are behind. It's nearly a logarithmic delivery expansion at this point.

It's all just changing so fast. I bet those mid Jan numbers were gathered in Nov. (eight months)

I'm not up on your HK expertise but all the delivery numbers are behind. It's nearly a logarithmic delivery expansion at this point.

I suspect that the US growth is fueled by Leaf and Volt? Neither are available for private individuals here.

Unfortunately, here in HK the figures are pathetic. A report on the Transport Advisory Committee figures for May 2011: 68 private cars and 9 motorcycles are registered in Hong Kong as battery-powered.

68 out of >300,000 registered private cars. Good grief. At least half of those are roadsters.

Perhaps when the Leaf becomes available to consumers here things will change, but at the prices quoted I have my doubts.