TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Electric cars are coming!

Discussion in 'News' started by dpeilow, May 20, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

We're sorry to be buzz kills. But we've heard this one before. Like in 1990. And 1910. Do the automakers have the juice this time?

Electric cars are coming! | Salon

[​IMG]

Interesting article...

2. graham

graham Active Member

Can you plug in any of them yet? :smile:

Toyota has announced there will be a plug-in Prius some day, so that seems just as real as a Model S to me right now...

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

wow.

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Good ole GM for ya. Now that Daimler has taken an interest in Tesla we can return to hoping for their demise without worry about the negative side effects it'll have on Tesla.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

The disappointing thing about this article is that it says that battery tech is mature and don't expect changes, without taking into account that most of the big new battery claims are coming from the nanotech area. We shall see.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And that governments across the planet is making battery tech and manufacturing a major priority. This cracks the chicken/egg problem wide open.

7. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

Yeah, good point. The Mini is right on the cusp though. They're all built. Just awaiting delivery at this point. It is odd to have the Prius in there....

Factory PHEV Prius do exist... in Japan. They've had them for years.

Ah.. you hadn't heard about that little issue? Many of us were charged insane amounts for scratches and such. Not dents - the dang things wouldn't dent. Just TRY to find one with a dent in it (I mean before the crusher!). But they were charging for scratches on the underside of that front dam - the dam that is about 3" off the pavement! Worst I heard was $2600 - charged just weeks before the car was crushed.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Electric vehicles are coming this year, but will they be ready?

Electric vehicles are coming this year, but will they be ready? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

9. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Talk about a corporate death-wish.

I worked at EDS when Ross Perot sold it to GM. Hordes of EDSers who went to Michigan came back with stories about how you couldn't rearrange an office without triggering a union grievance.

The whole company was twisted, from the boardroom to the factory floor.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/ideas/author/randyr/

I
    note the part about
    That would be fascinating and telling to count the bodies into that hall. Would be worth a study.