TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Electric Cars are gay" The Dilemma (movie)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Oct 12, 2010.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So says the Vince Vaughn character in the trailer for the new Ron Howard film, "The Dilemma" .

Gay rights groups are up in arms and the trailer has been pulled but maybe EV groups should say something as well. What exactly does he mean by this?

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/08/universal-pulls-gay-scene-from-vaughn-trailer/?iref=allsearch
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/universal-pulls-gay-slur-dilemma-trailer-21569

It may be no big deal. All of Vince Vaugn's movies are about him being a jerk -and then not. The end.

This scene is probably from the "before" part of the movie.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#2 doug, Oct 12, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    Actually, if you watch the trailer, I think the point of his "presentation" was to make electric cars with the "muscle of the Dodge brand." (Or something like that.) Ala the now defunct Dodge Circuit EV, I suppose.

3. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

This was on Jalopnik. I think they cut that part from the trailer after the reaction.
    http://jalopnik.com/5661131/vince-vaughns-electric-cars-are-gay-line-cut-from-unfunny-trailer
    http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/10/are-electric-cars-gay-or-is-vince-vaughn-an-idiot-or-both.html

Full quote here:
    "electric cars are gay. Not homosexual gay. But my-parents-are-chaperoning-the-dance gay."

I can't imagine a movie like this making much of an impact on people's perception of EVs, so I don't think it warrants much attention, although the gay rights group is understandably concerned about "gay" being used as a slur.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Gay review of the Roadster

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#5 doug, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

So what's the verdict then...are we dealing with an industry-wide, EV perception problem promulgated by some mal-informed Hollywood ink-stained wretches? :confused:

Might have to call on TM (TeslaMan) to vanquish this lot. :biggrin:

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Unable to view

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

12. kgb

kgb Member

This problem is more prolific than I thought. Katy Perry's "Ur so gay" has the following lyrics:

Perhaps, instead of fighting and protesting the joke, we should embrace it and defuse it. Now I don't claim to be a humorist nor a publicist, but if someone says, "having an electric car is so gay." One could reply, "Wow, until now I didn't know gays were so cool." Instead of saying, "stop using 'gay' as a derogatory slur, and don't insult electric cars, because you are hurting my feelings <waa waa!>"

Perhaps someone with more flair will understand what I'm saying and phrase it better.

13. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

My usual retort for anything stupid like this - is to say the ev haters are actually terrorist sympathisers. Usually works.

14. ChrisC

ChrisC see signature

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member