Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric cars compared - which one is more efficient?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much like a petrol or diesel car’s fuel consumption is measured by MPG (miles per gallon), an electric car’s energy consumption can be calculated by miles per kWh (kilowatt hour). This is the rate at which it depletes the energy of its batteries. Similar to MPG, the higher the miles per kWh figure, the further you’ll go on a single charge.

Still, unlike gasoline cars the differences in efficiency are not as staggering. You would expect the Twizy to go at least twice as far on 1 kWh.
Why is there such marginally difference? Has the Tesla better regenerative breaking, or something?

Btw, the Aptera developers claim 10 miles per kWh

aptera-0025-1-1607066100.png

1. Renault Twizy – 6.1 miles per kWh​

RenaultTwizy-1-scaled.jpg

5. Tesla Model 3 – 4.4 miles per kWh​

tesla-model-3-driving-front-3.jpg

Last edited:
Wired wrote about kWh efficiency to argue that electric scooters are best for urban traffic.

"One kilowatt hour of energy carries a gasoline-powered car a little less than a mile.
A much more efficient Tesla Model 3 can travel about four miles on the same amount of energy.
An electric scooter can travel more than 80 miles—or 333 laps around a football field."

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Not sure where you are going with this, the EPA publishes eMPG values for electric cars, so the bigger the better. And EVs are way more efficient than ICE cars. Not really surprising when you realize ICE cars do a rather poor job in extracting energy from fuel, typically in the range of 30-35% efficiency.

So why is a Tizzy only slight better than a model 3? Well first it get 40% more range, and that is not a small difference, but probably because Tesla is way ahead on the technology.

Not sure where you are going with this.
So why is a Tizzy only slight better than a model 3? Well first it get 40% more range, and that is not a small difference, but probably because Tesla is way ahead on the technology.

Where is it going so 'wrong' between Twizy, more of a four-wheeled scooter, and a real e-scooter?
Wired: "One kilowatt hour of energy carries a gasoline-powered car a little less than a mile. A much more efficient Tesla Model 3 can travel about four miles on the same amount of energy. An electric scooter can travel more than 80 miles—or 333 laps around a football field."

Just to clarify, the Twizy has minimum range like only 40 miles +/- due to small battery and not so great aero dynamics. Helping the Twizy's is the fact that it can't go that fast:)

I once saw on a chart of EV efficiencies where my 2014 Chevy Sparks were (yes, I believe they plotted the 2014 separately due to its A123 mfr'd battery) and it was way over in the lower left corner nearest to 0 intersecting 0. For a 4 door EV one of the most efficient - good aero as well as very efficient permanent magnet inverter/motor combo.

On the other hand is driving the 2012 Tesla MS long distances at +7000 ft altitude in the Rockies where efficiency really is amazing. Quickly the kwh/mi settles down under 300 and just keep on going, headwinds permitting. I can't wait to test the Aptera up here at high speed and under the bright sun, to add another variable to this equation.
--

Semantics. In Europe we call the motorized two-wheelers scooters, that Americans (and Brits) call mopeds.
The tiny-wheeled two-wheelers may score 80 miles per kWh (according to Wired), for electric mopeds it is more around 20 miles per kWh.

Well, it depends how much the person knows about these things. Some people call every motorized two wheeler a 'motorbike' or 'motorcycle', but here are the categories as I understand them;

A scooter is generally a step-through design, no swinging a leg over a frame/seat. There are no pedals and usually there's an automatic transmission or at least an automated manual. Usually these have some sleek bodywork but not always. Examples; Suzuki Burgman or Kawasaki J300, or older smaller models like the Honda Spree 50. These range from 50cc up to the Super Scooters or 'Maxi' Scooters with much bigger engines, more storage, freeway legal, much more power—like the Yamaha TMAX (530cc).

A moped is a specific kind of motorized two-wheel vehicle with pedals, which is the 'ped' portion. Usually these range from 50-80cc or so. Not freeway legal here in the States. Depending on state, one may or may not need a motorcycle endorsement.

A motorcycle has motorcycle controls and gears that require manual shifting with foot controls—though some motorcycles are electric now. The smallest forms are usually freeway legal (250cc), though smaller variants exist such as the Grom 125 or Kawasaki Z125. There are also three-wheeled motorcycles (motorcycle controls) such as the Can-Am Spyder. These remove some of the tip-over risk due to the stability of three wheels, but also reduce much of the fun of leaning into corners. Great for those new to motorcycles, those too short to foot a bike, people wanting to remove much of the tipover risk (cornering, standing, uneven terrain), or those who just like this kind of vehicle. The smallest motorcycle I know about is the YSR-50. I rode one of those in my earlier years and it was a load of fun.

A minibike is a tiny motorcycle, generally with very small wheels and ultra low ride-height. They kinda fell out of favor in the early 80s (replaced by mopeds and scooters) but they've made a comeback with new takes on the old classics such as the Honda 125 Monkey. The Honda Monkey looks amazing, and it's extremely evocative of the minibikes I wished I could ride when I was 5-6. :)

Pocketbikes have been made illegal in many areas, but these are even smaller than minibikes.

An Autocycle is a three-wheeled vehicle with car-style controls. Because they're technically classed with motorcycles (three wheels), they're permitted to use the HOV lane in some areas (like California) and don't require all of the extra safety protocols required for cars, such as airbags. Easy for car drivers to use, often no M endorsement or helmet needed, but are quick and open like a motorcycle. No splitting lanes though, permissible or not. Parking is often easier in tighter areas. These offer a lot of the thrill of riding without a much of the risk. In a collision there's plenty of risk but inherently gravity won't cause you to fall over at a stop, in corners, or because you're too short to get proper footing. The brilliant new Aptera is an autocycle.

Reactions: voyager