Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Commodore does 1800km in a day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Swap-and-go battery technology has seen an electric Holden Commodore set an unofficial record.

The battery-switchable electric Commodore, developed by EV Engineering, has unofficially broken the distance record for a production electric car - 1886km over a 24-hour period.

The official record is held by the Renault Zoe - which used fast chargers instead of battery swapping - at 1618km.

Electric Commodore does 1800km in a day | carsguide.com.au

Electric version of Holden Commodore

EV-launch-007_729-620x349.jpg

I think this is cool that we are showing EVs capable of driving over 1,000 miles in a 24 hour period on a closed course. But doing this in any ICE, on public roads is trivial. I have driven my GTI over 800 miles in less than 12 hours by myself, on public roads.

EVs shouldn't be doing these distance stunts. They should be showing how awesome they are for 99% of your driving. And you don't need your car to drive halfway across a continent.

I am not saying this isn't cool. And doing long distance trips is something that EVs just can't do right now. Sure we should be trying to get there but ICEs have a multi-billion dollar gas station infrastructure out there helping them go long distances. EVs just won't be able to compete until they have some infrastructure.