Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric "conversion" of a VW Westfalia using a Model S platform

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Model S needs to operate properly even in the case of faulty items, such as door locks, sunroof, etc. the propulsion system is probably quite isolated and should function in the absence of those items.

I'm pretty sure this is the case and the car will do its best to run and charge if it can do so safely.
On the other hand, I'm hoping to get over the air system updates and the current one is failing to stick. I'm guessing it's failing since I have a number of systems disconnected (SRS, HVAC, Stability control). It seems the simplest solution is to use all the original systems, even if the door handles just sit wired up in a box at first.

Zextraterrestrial: By early summer I hope to be meeting up with people at my Supercharger stops!

Is it possible that car is disabled in the Tesla database from getting updates to install since it's been totaled? The car may get the signal that an update is available but when it "phone's home" to get it Tesla doesn't send it, or something?

...Re TEG's point about too tall a gear ratio, this would certainly apply to an ICE where you have to optimize torque & power curves. With the MS these aren't really curves anymore, more like straight lines. Plus tremendous power/torque compared to Westfalia engine...--

But it would be like trying to accelerate in 4th or 5th gear all the time. I worry about stress on the gears in the gearbox at lower speeds under high loading conditions.

Interesting progress; sadly, I can't help you with your parts troubles. BTW, how do you order parts from Tesla? Is there a parts listing you use? As far as I know, there is currently no service manual (and there might not be one ever released) and with missing parts, what can you do for finding part numbers?

Interesting progress; sadly, I can't help you with your parts troubles. BTW, how do you order parts from Tesla? Is there a parts listing you use? As far as I know, there is currently no service manual (and there might not be one ever released) and with missing parts, what can you do for finding part numbers?
You don't really need part numbers, because most parts are sold as complete assemblies. There are no individual parts sold like by most manufacturers(other than fasteners).

How's it going Otmar? No updates for a while :)

It feels a bit slow but things are moving some, I am hoping to release a video update later this week.
Let's see, I got fresh 19" wheels with Michelins, Stripped down the passenger seat (I'll be able to lower it quite a bit), am working on spoofing the LIN bus that controls the front shutters and I plan my first visit to the SC in Portland tomorrow to order suspension parts.

Hello fellow Tesla fanatics. There have been quite a few cool updates to Otmar's blog if you are not following it directly. Check out the "Wreckla" below, it is now street legal and running around - complete with Vanagon Westfalia lights and indicators. I have to say that even the "Wreckla" is a cooler drive than most ICE cars :biggrin:

IMG_1958-695x519.jpg

Here is the blog link:

http://cafeelectric.com/stretchla/

Cheers!

Alex

I've been following this project... great stuff.

Even though I'll likely never do a conversion... or have a chance to see your awesome Stretchla, you are doing a great service to the Tesla community by sharing what you're learning. I already have several insights in to how my Model S works that I never would have had before...

Thanks for taking the time to blog up the whole project... really fascinating...

"Stretchla" ... sheer genius, or total nutjob???

I stumbled across this guy on YouTube ... apparently he enjoys camping so much that he spliced 2 Volkswagen campers together, limousine-style ... he also really likes electric vehicles, and would like to take advantage of the Supercharger network in his many cross-country trips ... so as anyone who's ever eaten a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup can tell you, when you're passionate about two things, the obvious solution is to combine them ... he bought a damaged Tesla, and is going to strip off the body and graft the camper shells onto the Tesla drivetrain ... gotta admire his ambition
check it out: Stretchla Blog | Stretched Vanagon Westfalia shell on a Tesla platform

stretchla-v2-695x275.jpg

I come down on the crazy side but then without those crazy people there would NEVER be any progress. We never advance unless we push the envelope and get our of our comfort zone. So my hats off to all the crazy one, and yes my wife would say I too am crazy. Who else would convert a 97 Jeep Wrangler to all electric drive or convert a 2004 Avalanche into a plug-in hybrid.