Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Exige?? (Dale Vince - Wind Car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I assume that's the battery box, since that's where they previously showed they intended to put their batteries. Looks like just an empty plastic shell at the moment (with an opening at the back).

Zerocarbonista releases last latest video on wind-powered sports car - AutoblogGreen

ecotricity-mojo-grab-580.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Wind car update.
Zero Carbonista's wind-powered car with no name keeps moving forward

The car with no name | Transport | Zerocarbonista

zero-c_gunmetal_small.jpg

Article in the Guardian:
Britain's pioneering electric supercar: powered by wind | Environment | guardian.co.uk
It is faster out of the blocks than a V12 Ferrari and can do 0-60mph in four seconds. It will go faster than 140mph and can be fully charged over lunch. But the most remarkable thing about the first British electric supercar is that it is not being built by one of the world's great car companies with a limitless research budget, but has been knocked up in a few months by some middle-aged engineers in a Norfolk garage from off-the-shelf parts mostly available on the web.
I'll be interested to see if they're ever able to achieve those specs.

An embeddable youtube version of the video isn't yet available. But watching it, it appears each wheel has an independent controller.

Last edited:
This part 7 went up on Youtube a couple days ago.
[youtube]H1o7tKdBu7U[/youtube]

They never bother to talk about the technical aspects of this project, but the videos show a bit. I took some quick screen caps of this latest one.

3411383739_ed988d98c9.jpg

Belt assembly and motor housing.
3411384181_552699374b.jpg

Dual motor and belt assembly going into the chassis.
3412190574_059c0f6024.jpg
3412190584_12c27aa9f3.jpg

Those white PVC test boxes appear to contain industrial off-the-shelf electrical components.

3411384007_17e68a518b.jpg
3412190754_16ef10c2d6.jpg

Looks like for the purpose of this test, each motor (and thus each rear wheel) has it's own hand held controller.

3412190550_1d43a78deb.jpg

I'm still interested in what approach they plan to use to address the relative wheel speed issue since they don't have a mechanical differential.

I'm still interested in what approach they plan to use to address the relative wheel speed issue since they don't have a mechanical differential.
But they do have two separate motors and two separate controllers. They can just ignore that relative speed issue, inner motor would work a little bit harder, outer a little bit easier.

Dude, buy a Tesla.
Yeah, Dale Vince typically either pretends Tesla doesn't exist, or tries to take a dig at them.

But they do have two separate motors and two separate controllers. They can just ignore that relative speed issue, inner motor would work a little bit harder, outer a little bit easier.
You're probably right, but it depends on how their controlling them. I don't know the details of those UQM controllers, but they likely control for frequency (speed). And then things are a little complicated to balance the two.
Actually, if the controllers are able to (ahem) control for torque (and they should be), then they should just be able to set the torque for both wheels to be equal. Then you have the equivalent of an open differential. By setting a limit of the maximum difference in wheel speed, you should be able to simulate a limited slip. Again, they don't bother to discuss these details.

Yeah, Dale Vince typically either pretends Tesla doesn't exist, or tries to take a dig at them.

We been following them so we know there is more to the project than just making and electric Elise (like Zytec and Detroit Electric (and probably Lotus someday)) but that video showed nothing significant in specs or design that would make it particularly different from a Tesla (like that wacky bodywork we saw a few months ago).

I do [plan on putting a wind turbine (3 to 5KW) someday. Will that put a stop to Dale's folley?
:smile:
I kid. If Tesla did not exist I would be absolutely thrilled at what he is doing so I wish him well as competition is healthy.