TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electric Exige?? (Dale Vince - Wind Car)

Discussion in 'Electric Conversions' started by doug, May 19, 2008.

1. kgb

kgb Member

There is a whole thread in which we "complain" about interior noise of the Tesla, but that is much worse! I can't imagine anyone would want a car in which you have to yell at the person sitting next to you. They are both yelling in that video. I don't care how fast it is, that is just too impractical... well maybe... how much trunk space does it have? :wink:

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Puzzled by his remark that regen has no purpose in a rear wheel drive car.
    Perhaps not fully effective, but the Roadster certainly makes some good use of rear wheel only regen.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

On regen there is a valid argument for EV coasting that was brought up by the EVTV guys. I like regen and know it will only get better with continued development.

As for the noise and trunk space, this is another example of a prototype car that is not ready for prime time. Not that they couldn't isolate things and add a bunch of sound deadening material. Mine has had some 2010 padding added to it so even Tesla is still tweaking on that. As for trunk. Have you seen the Elises' oven?!

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

sounds like the subway.

5. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Never touch the RED button ! It's the fire extinguisher in the battery ! LOL !

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Of course it's fully effective. The regen isn't like standing on the brake pedal. If you need to stop fast, there are things called brakes! That comment was totally out in left field.

7. doug

Perhaps regen isn't that easy to implement given the type of motors they're using. Instead of saying "we couldn't do it" they went with, "we didn't need it anyway."

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, that is about what I figured.

Actually I wonder if Dale Vince even knows the real story. Maybe one of the technicians or engineers working on his project fed him that line since they didn't want to have to implement it.
    I find lots of "home-brew" EVs without regen find a way to rationalize why they didn't really need it.

( "Doesn't add that much range." "Too expensive." "Too complex." "Safety issues." etc.)

9. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

It's loud, doesn't have regen, doubt it has traction control, maybe no ABS, smaller batteries without thermal management, maybe no AC or heat, unfinished wiring and bodywork at the back and can't match a Tesla on acceleration, range or refinement.... and this took two years.

Sounds grim to me. In the interview it felt like he was avoiding the 300Lb gorilla; "You know, I don't know how far the Tesla goes on a charge, or this for that matter".

I think that he's either:
    a. Living in a bubble
    b. Not really focused on this
    c. Suffering from sour grapes because Tesla had the idea after him but hit the problem with dedication and a big round of funding.

I hope it's a. because, in time I'm sure all issues can be solved and he'll have a compelling product for an interesting niche and whilst small car companies never last forever it'll keep the world interesting.

10. Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic EU Sport 359 & S94

11. doug

Well, I like the new paint job:

5178308433_5837729883_b.jpg

Also looks like it got to meet a Tesla. I'd like to see them drag race.
    5178913542_44e5b21f3a_b.jpg
    5178308585_f2413df035_b.jpg

12. doug

#93 doug, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

An oldie but don't think posted here: The Nemesis has landed | Transport | Zerocarbonista

I don't think this kind of behaviour does EVs any favours at all. Drive at the ambient speed of the road or you'll just turn off a few thousand more drivers from EVs as they overtake you.

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Even the Leaf can show some competency off the line. I make it a point to stay at the front of the pack when starting from the front of the line. People in general will slowly learn that well built EVs are not slugs. The Roadster proved that already, but it looks fast. When they start to see more ordinary looking EVs setting the traffic pace it will likely cause more to embrace them.

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Good thinking!

16. Bud

Bud Member

Here’s a possible reason someone might want to avoid regen in a high performance car with a strong rear weight bias, or at least be able to switch it off:
    Lift-off oversteer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wouldn’t bother anyone with this, but it’s safety-related.

Off-throttle engine drag and rear wheel only regen have a similar effect. When cornering near the adhesion limit with e.g. Porsches I’m careful to maintain at least neutral throttle, and if I’m suddenly forced to brake I also step on the clutch pedal.

17. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

This was one of the reasons that TM cited for having fixed regen level; the complexity of managing the stability would have extended R&D.

18. zack

zack Member

0-60 in 4.4. Heh.

19. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member