Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Frunk - Tesla Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tlr1000

Jun 14, 2018
Vancouver
I helped my friend install a TeslaOffer frunk in her 2019 X today. Overall, the install was quite simple. I followed TeslaOffer's YouTube video exactly and everything seemed perfect. When I went to test the closing, it would not pull the frunk lid all the way down leaving a 1 inch gap. After over an hour of adjusting, tuning, etc., I still could not get the frunk to latch without helping it by pushing down on the frunk lid. At this point I was pretty frustrated and had doubts about the kit. I was about to give up and then my friend came to have a look. He spent some time fiddling as well and finally he noted that the hook part of the frunk lid was installed poorly by the factory. It was way off to the passenger side so we unbolted it and centered it (moving it towards driver's side) and bolted it all back together. Voila! It worked perfectly. I was doubting the kit but it was actually a poorly installed hook from Tesla. The TeslaOffer kit performed exactly as it should have. Below is a pic of the latch hook before adjusting it and arrows showing direction I moved it.

If you decide to install one of these, make sure the hook is not so off center like this. Could save you a lot of time.
ModelX frunk.jpg

Hood unlatches but does not rise up. I've got another thread on here I can dig up
As mentioned in my opening post I was quite frustrated with this kit and it took a long time to get it sorted out. Then I realized the issue (at least in my case) was not the kit but from the poor alignment of hook/latch from the factory. Did you install the kit yourself or hire someone? At least in my experience of helping people install the TeslaOffer kits on a couple of other Teslas, I found it easy to get support from them when an install problem occurred. If I had to install another Model X frunk kit, I think it would go a lot more smoothly as running into issues gave me some insight on what to look for. Good luck on resolving your issue.

is there any way to determine if the alignment is right before buying the kit? thanks
Look at the photo above. You have to slowly close your frunk to see if it lines up. Should be centered. If slightly off to one side (as in the picture) it doesn't really impact manual closing but if you install the kit, it is much more reliable to center everything.