TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electric GT World Series — Based Entirely On the Tesla Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mpt, Mar 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Was chatting to Mark about this. I guess now it's out in the open I can say. Sounds awesome, can't wait.

3. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

No P85D?

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder what they're going to do to allow it to maintain track performance.

5. mgemmell

mgemmell Scottish chap

The folks a transportevolved.com wrote a great article... I really like their style.

The night before the release I wrote about Electric GT here ElectricGT so I suppose we may want to concentrate the discussion there as things progress.

If it were me I'd use the P90D (or P100D :) ) but the drivers are saying that a powerful rear wheel drive car is much more entertaining to watch (especially if it rains!). Bearing in mind there will be a drifting stage in each race day rear wheel drive is a must. Now if Tesla added a front/rear power distribution slider things could get really fun....

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

7. Dithermaster

Dithermaster Member

That really made my day! I knew my car felt faster today.

8. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

Check out this video interview I did with Mark about the series:

9. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

New trailer video, launch is in Ibiza next week!

Interesting to see what they have done with the MCU - looks like they are running their own software complete with sponsership :)

Screencap from the trailer (courtesy of electrek):

[​IMG]

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Yes there are sponsor logos shown but no indication that Tesla is sponsoring, and I do not expect Tesla to be a sponsor based on past statements from Elon.

I am particularly interested to learn more about how those Model S race cars will be modified to allow for greater motor and inverter cooling capability.

11. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

How did they solve the over-heating issue?

12. ecarfan

The Transport Evolved article linked to by the OP says nothing about adding additional motor cooling. Quote:
    "We are making only small changes to the production Model S P85+ such as improved braking and aerodynamics to increase high speed grip. We will strengthen suspension, braking cooling and steering as well as reducing overall weight,” Payá explains. “The rest — powertrain, battery, programming — everything is original."

I don't see how those Teslas are going to be able to do dozens of hot laps on race circuits without overheating and I doubt the races are going to be shorter than the Formula E series races are. But apparently the people running the Electric GT World Series do not think motor overheating is going to be an issue.

• Like x 1
  13. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

maybe all those race car will be running in reduced power mode after one lap, which would sound crazy for a racing event.

14. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

#14 stephenpace, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    At one point I think Mark made it very clear that they've put in a larger radiator and three additional coolant pumps that (with one other--NDA--change) makes it so the cars never need to run in reduced power mode. I believe the statement was along the lines that the cars--with those changes--would be able to run the Nürburgring in a pretty impressive time. The article seems to contradict that, but I for one hope they do that because it will shut up a lot of the haters out there. Further I hope Tesla makes the changes available as an option at some point in the future (post Model 3).

15. ecarfan

My guess is the Transport Evolved article forgot to mention the additional motor cooling. It seems essential.

16. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

#9 J1mbo, Sep 23, 2016
    So, it is november now.
    What happened?

17. Tam

Tam Active Member

It's now updated to all P100D:

Electric GT unveils stripped-down Tesla Model S P100D with 2.0-sec 0 to 60 mph acceleration

[​IMG]

"EGT will visit seven classic European circuits in its inaugural season, including Paul Ricard, Barcelona, Assen and the Nürburgring, before staging three non-championship races in the Americas."

“There will be 10 teams and 20 drivers, who will compete across seven races during season one. Weekends will consist of a 20-minute practice session, 60-minute qualifying, a day race (60km) and a dusk race (60km). Each round will be a weekend-long festival of technology and innovation for sustainability, in and around the circuits.”

Dates are not published on its website.

18. Tam

Tam Active Member

Timeline is being drafted:

“The intention is that the first race will be mid-August. We are planning to start in the north of Europe and then we go down south. For weather reasons. The calendar of seven races will end around late November,”

• Informative x 2
  19. diesel

diesel Member

I am looking forward to following the races - what are the chances of the races being streamed? Would even pay a reasonable price to watch...

20. Tam

Tam Active Member

Start saving up your money and ready for August!!!!

It sounds like it will stream:

"Fans will be able to stream races via Periscope, Twitch and YouTube, as well as interact directly with the teams using social media platforms."

• Informative x 1