Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric GT World Series — Based Entirely On the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ICE cars often explode into massive fireballs when they crash, too.

I have a Model S so I'm not some Tesla hater. But you have to admit after watching that video that it's a different kind of fire. Gasoline goes boom... these batteries are going to spread out and individually fire off.

In an environment where big accidents happen all the time how are they going to deal with these types of fires? Will they be able to clear the track quickly? Is there some risk that the batteries will spread out and then fire off? I'm not so sure this is what you want people to see when they think of electric cars.

I have a Model S so I'm not some Tesla hater. But you have to admit after watching that video that it's a different kind of fire. Gasoline goes boom... these batteries are going to spread out and individually fire off.

In an environment where big accidents happen all the time how are they going to deal with these types of fires? Will they be able to clear the track quickly? Is there some risk that the batteries will spread out and then fire off? I'm not so sure this is what you want people to see when they think of electric cars.
The probability of a Tesla battery exploding and causing damage is way higher in the road in the hands of an experienced driver than in a race track in the hands of a professional driver where there are hundreds of fire extinguishers around.

They are. At the very least it's going to be real bad PR when those little batteries are flying everywhere.

Crashed Tesla explodes into a massive fireball
That turns out not to be correct. The car disintegrated, with parts flying everywhere, which ONE eyewitness described as "exploded". Then it caught fire. If the occupants hadn't already been unconscious or dead, they might have been able to get out safely.

Note that the race spec car has a full roll cage. That means it simply won't deform enough in even a really bad crash to be spilling batteries. It's wise for race organizers to keep the possibility of battery debris in mind, but on a practical level this not going to be a problem...I claim. Watch what happens to a Nascar car in a 220MPH crash. Only the outer crumple zone crumples.

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that modern race tracks don't have trees or concrete abutments where the cars on track (or those accidentally going off track) can run into them. Everything solid delivers a glancing blow. On the street though that's not so much true... All kinds of solid things to run into on the streets. Such as the accident referred to by MichFinn.

It's no longer the 1970's on track.

3E9F317D-F95F-4C86-8F9B-C8FAD01AC540.jpeg
Being a racing fan (F1, CART of old, DTM, Formula-E, etc.), I’m really hoping Electric GT secures enough funding to hold the series later this year. Note they started with a P85+, but are now going with the P100DL+ with 1100lbs less weight. Can’t wait (fingers crossed).

I wonder if the door handles will still present themselves during driver changes?!? :D

Tesla racing championship Electric GT announces first 10 races for 2018-2019 season