Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric GT World Series — Based Entirely On the Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The folks a transportevolved.com wrote a great article... I really like their style.

The night before the release I wrote about Electric GT here ElectricGT so I suppose we may want to concentrate the discussion there as things progress.

If it were me I'd use the P90D (or P100D :) ) but the drivers are saying that a powerful rear wheel drive car is much more entertaining to watch (especially if it rains!). Bearing in mind there will be a drifting stage in each race day rear wheel drive is a must. Now if Tesla added a front/rear power distribution slider things could get really fun....

New trailer video, launch is in Ibiza next week!

Interesting to see what they have done with the MCU - looks like they are running their own software complete with sponsership :)

Screencap from the trailer (courtesy of electrek):

electric-gt-tesla-7.png

Interesting to see what they have done with the MCU - looks like they are running their own software complete with sponsership :)
Yes there are sponsor logos shown but no indication that Tesla is sponsoring, and I do not expect Tesla to be a sponsor based on past statements from Elon.

I am particularly interested to learn more about how those Model S race cars will be modified to allow for greater motor and inverter cooling capability.

How did they solve the over-heating issue?
The Transport Evolved article linked to by the OP says nothing about adding additional motor cooling. Quote:
"We are making only small changes to the production Model S P85+ such as improved braking and aerodynamics to increase high speed grip. We will strengthen suspension, braking cooling and steering as well as reducing overall weight,” Payá explains. “The rest — powertrain, battery, programming — everything is original."

I don't see how those Teslas are going to be able to do dozens of hot laps on race circuits without overheating and I doubt the races are going to be shorter than the Formula E series races are. But apparently the people running the Electric GT World Series do not think motor overheating is going to be an issue.

Reactions: deonb
The Transport Evolved article linked to by the OP says nothing about adding additional motor cooling. Quote:
"We are making only small changes to the production Model S P85+ such as improved braking and aerodynamics to increase high speed grip. We will strengthen suspension, braking cooling and steering as well as reducing overall weight,” Payá explains. “The rest — powertrain, battery, programming — everything is original."

I don't see how those Teslas are going to be able to do dozens of hot laps on race circuits without overheating and I doubt the races are going to be shorter than the Formula E series races are. But apparently the people running the Electric GT World Series do not think motor overheating is going to be an issue.
maybe all those race car will be running in reduced power mode after one lap, which would sound crazy for a racing event.

At one point I think Mark made it very clear that they've put in a larger radiator and three additional coolant pumps that (with one other--NDA--change) makes it so the cars never need to run in reduced power mode. I believe the statement was along the lines that the cars--with those changes--would be able to run the Nürburgring in a pretty impressive time. The article seems to contradict that, but I for one hope they do that because it will shut up a lot of the haters out there. Further I hope Tesla makes the changes available as an option at some point in the future (post Model 3).

Last edited:
It's now updated to all P100D:

Electric GT unveils stripped-down Tesla Model S P100D with 2.0-sec 0 to 60 mph acceleration

EGT+V2+FACEBOOK+2.jpg

"EGT will visit seven classic European circuits in its inaugural season, including Paul Ricard, Barcelona, Assen and the Nürburgring, before staging three non-championship races in the Americas."

“There will be 10 teams and 20 drivers, who will compete across seven races during season one. Weekends will consist of a 20-minute practice session, 60-minute qualifying, a day race (60km) and a dusk race (60km). Each round will be a weekend-long festival of technology and innovation for sustainability, in and around the circuits.”

Dates are not published on its website.

I am looking forward to following the races - what are the chances of the races being streamed? Would even pay a reasonable price to watch...

Start saving up your money and ready for August!!!!

It sounds like it will stream:

"Fans will be able to stream races via Periscope, Twitch and YouTube, as well as interact directly with the teams using social media platforms."

• Informative
Reactions: diesel