Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Lawnmowers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got the Lowes Kobalt battery-powered lawnmower. Handles my 1/2 acre yard just fine - just need an extra battery to switch to when the first drains. about 3/4 of the way through. I originally tried an all mechanical push mower, but that was just not practical at all.
Yes! Way to go! I have 2 Homelite lead acid converted to 40V Kobalt battery mowers. I put motor controller, cooling fan, light, and 20 amp 12V outlet for accessories so it can be used as a power platform as well. Also have EGO mower and all the battery yard equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: gavine
Came across this on the Home Depot site. Only available online. Made in China. Would be a good size for my 1/3 acre lot.

Weibang E-Rider 30 in. W 72-Volt Lithium-Ion Battery Powered Rear Engine Riding Mower-WB76E - The Home Depot

30in deck isn't very wide. Price is nice though.

I also saw this (link below), which I think is totally new this year. Ryobi had a 38" deck riding mower in both 75 and 100 ah versions previously, but they are not zero turn. The new one is 42" and zero turn. Would be tempting if I hadn't just bought one of the 38" versions last year.

RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Battery Electric Zero Turn Mower-RY48ZTR100 - The Home Depot

30in deck isn't very wide. Price is nice though.

I also saw this (link below), which I think is totally new this year. Ryobi had a 38" deck riding mower in both 75 and 100 ah versions previously, but they are not zero turn. The new one is 42" and zero turn. Would be tempting if I hadn't just bought one of the 38" versions last year.

RYOBI 42 in. 100 Ah Battery Electric Zero Turn Mower-RY48ZTR100 - The Home Depot

Some interesting info about the batteries:
"Well, yes, you could swap out the batteries for a fresh set, but understand that the power supply for these mowers is a set of batteries composed of four 12 volt Sealed Lead Acid/Absorbent Glass Mat batteries connected in series. The batteries are mounted on a slide out tray (like a Tesla) and weigh 50 to 60 pounds each. Swap out/in is not considered a routine thing. Not sure what you mean by "battery life", but properly formatted (conditioned), not discharged completely each use, and kept plugged into the charger when not being used, one could expect 5 to 7 years of usable life span from these batteries. Charge time depends on how much the pack is discharged each time. I mow for about an hour, use less than 10% of the total charge on my 75 Ahr. mower and it takes about 3 hours to fully charge the pack. Electrical cost for this charge is about $0.06. I just plan for an overnight charge for the next use of the mower. Here is a URL for an article that details how to condition and maintain SLA/AGM batteries. It has excellent advice on maximizing the life span of these batteries.
5+ Ultimate Electric Riding Mower Battery Care Tips - MyCountryAcre"

This and this day’s subsequent posts originated in a thread where they didn’t belong, which is why there is some ancillary material also in some of the posts’ bodies

BTW, for the ATV, a 20KWh Roadrunner pack would weigh ~185 (84kg) pounds and cost about $1000 to make... Plus it would be capable of 150hp!

Average ATV weighs about 450 pounds, and if the ratio of ~6-7 Kwh per gallon of gas in cars holds to ATVs, that should give you about the same range as the ~3-3.5 gallon tanks on most ATVs.

Makes you wonder if Tesla will also get into manufacturing lawnmowers, tractors, etc....

Last edited:
I do wonder though if there is a point where giving average people more HP in a relatively low price point starts to become a negative in terms of reputation/safety/insurance.

I'd hope that instead they would sell some sort of modular battery system (think cordless tools but larger) that third parties can buy and design the other hardware around. That way I don't have to wait for my SC to repair some guy's lawnmower before they fix my car.

When I retire, if I can't buy an electric assist sailboat/cat for a reasonable price, then I'll build one using power walls or old packs.

Honda makes cars and lawnmowers and ATVs... I don't see why Tesla couldn't.

Think about how much less the maintenance cost on EVs is compared to ICE cars... that will also apply to lawnmowers/tractors/ATVs/etc.

Think about how much less the maintenance cost on EVs is compared to ICE cars... that will also apply to lawnmowers/tractors/ATVs/etc.
Sure they could but I think Tesla has more than enough irons in the fire to keep them busy.

Do we think Tesla is more likely to scale down to these devices, or scale up to something like domestic aircraft?

_108485539_optimised-travel_carbon-nc.png

I would imagine if their goal is sustainability, that some day 5-10 years from now the airline industry is going to look like a juicy target. But I suppose they've already introduced an ATV on stage for cybertruck, but no news on when or if it will be produced?

I know we've heard a lot about Elon's VTOL, same story for years. But if they're going to solve these energy problems, then can be the company that produces everything from passenger jets to lawnmowers?

Graphic I found which is kind of wild re: lawnmowers

lawn-mower-mileage.png

They are small, but terrible. Pretty wild how much they pollute!

The ~$150k Semi is easily possible with this battery.
At that price people are going to be buying them to just drive around. It would be really sweet to convert one into a class B RV.

We are getting down the rabbit hole here but worth noting that current electric mowers work fine for most people. I have a Ryobi which uses 40V swappable batteries that I also use in my bush trimmer, leaf blower, weed eater etc.

Probably not manufacturing other thing but I think once they have a surplus of batteries (LOL, yeah right) we will see things like "John Deere powered by Tesla" :D
*intel inside

Reactions: JustMe and Tim S
Probably not manufacturing other thing but I think once they have a surplus of batteries (LOL, yeah right) we will see things like "John Deere powered by Tesla" :D

Tesla is getting into HVAC... Mitsubishi makes HVAC and cars.
Honda makes ATVs, Lawnmowers, etc.
Hyundai and Volvo make large construction equipment.

Tesla doing all of this would not be that out of the ordinary.

I know we've heard a lot about Elon's VTOL, same story for years. But if they're going to solve these energy problems, then can be the company that produces everything from passenger jets to lawnmowers?

When I moved to Canada in 1996, the first lawnmower I bought was electric (not battery, just a long cord) and I am still using that one today. So, there has been electric solution for that for a looong time and I do not see that application really needs a Tesla solution, there are plenty of electric options available.

Do we think Tesla is more likely to scale down to these devices, or scale up to something like domestic aircraft?

I would imagine if their goal is sustainability, that some day 5-10 years from now the airline industry is going to look like a juicy target. But I suppose they've already introduced an ATV on stage for cybertruck, but no news on when or if it will be produced?

lawn-mower-mileage.png

I have a Bosch L-Ion mower for the last 10 years already... no stink, practical and quiet.

Reactions: Drumheller

Also pollution for operators and pollution in public areas by council workers and contractors - eventually it will go electric. You won't be able to buy the fuel.

Farmers are starting to look at electric - they have plenty of large roofs, potential to auto-bid or don't want to pay for grid connections and diesel deliveries. Also, some places are removing low tax for agricultural-use diesel.

lawn-mower-mileage.png

the lawnmower "fact" needs to be removed by you... Honestly, driving from DC to Baltimore. I have done it in 30 minutes..or in rush hour Friday traffic, 3+ hours. And then consider I own a 5.7 liter Hemi Dodge. The "comparison" is not a comparison.

When I moved to Canada in 1996, the first lawnmower I bought was electric (not battery, just a long cord) and I am still using that one today. So, there has been electric solution for that for a looong time and I do not see that application really needs a Tesla solution, there are plenty of electric options available.

I’ll second that. And I’m proud to say that when I had an electric lawnmower for about a year, I only ran over the extension cord three times!

Reactions: doug