Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric Lawnmowers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the car engine is running less than an hour when the roads clear, and over 3 hours when it is congested. And it creates more pollution in the stop and go traffic FOR THE WHOLE THREE HOURS. Whereas the smooth fast ride burns clean for less than an hour. Come on man, you can't be.....?
It is a piss poor choice. Period.
EDIT: YOU EVEN STATE THE COMPARISON IS TIME OF THE MOWER VS DISTANCE IN AN ICE VEHICLE. APPLES VERSUS ORANGES MAKES SENSE TO YOU? Have a good life.

Depends on which pollutants you're talking about. If it's CO2 then... yah... a car is worse because physics. If it's all the other stuff then burning fools fuel in a lawn mower is worse because it's a straight pipe with no emissions controls. Doesn't help that most lawn mowers also but a bit of oil too.

Battery reel mowers are really hard to find.
They certainly are compared to rotary versions. There's another swappable cassette style reel mower that's produced by Allett out of the U.K. The Liberty is part of their homeowner line but, like the Swardman, are unfortunately currently backordered. Some videos to illustrate:

WHAT ABOUT LEAFBLOWERS, TOO?!?!?
Here's a pretty good comparison video. But why stop at the blower?!

Some great options out there in the battery powered outdoor power equipment segment but definitely go brushless if you decide to take the plunge. I've made the switch from my ICE STIHL KombiSystem to Makita's LXT 18V/36V Cordless power head + attachment system and am really impressed by the performance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf
the lawnmower "fact" needs to be removed by you... Honestly, driving from DC to Baltimore. I have done it in 30 minutes..or in rush hour Friday traffic, 3+ hours. And then consider I own a 5.7 liter Hemi Dodge. The "comparison" is not a comparison.
It is and it isn't a useful comparison. If people knew their 3/4HP single mower pollutes as much as their Hyundai, that's enough to make them think twice, and more so if the 5.7 Hemi is more accurate. I always felt ridiculous driving to a gas station to bring gas home in a can in the trunk or the car, then making sure it doesn't tip or leak... I suppose there are Tesla owners out there pulling up to pumps to fill up cans to feed their lawn tractors- would be fun to see that... until the electric lawn tractor comes along.

Reactions: lafrisbee
I’ll second that. And I’m proud to say that when I had an electric lawnmower for about a year, I only ran over the extension cord three times!
Pro tip: Instead of whipping the cord around a lot or doing weird patterns to avoid where the cord ends up, just have the cord run down the middle of the lawn to the farthest point, then you do a little wheelie over it whenever you cross it, and at the end, you have to mow that one strip where the cord was. Better yet, make that a *big* wheelie.

When I moved to Canada in 1996, the first lawnmower I bought was electric (not battery, just a long cord) and I am still using that one today. So, there has been electric solution for that for a looong time and I do not see that application really needs a Tesla solution, there are plenty of electric options available.
I used an electric mower for our yard in the late 1970s. It was a huge yard, took 2-3 hours to do with a 22" wide blade, but I was a kid and complaining wasn't an option- didn't even have a Walkman™ to listen to. ¡Ay carumba! Oddly, it was easier to avoid the cord then than it is now in my tiny yard- used to come across it once every two minutes instead of 3 times a minute.

I used an electric mower for our yard in the late 1970s. It was a huge yard, took 2-3 hours to do with a 22" wide blade, but I was a kid and complaining wasn't an option- didn't even have a Walkman™ to listen to. ¡Ay carumba! Oddly, it was easier to avoid the cord then than it is now in my tiny yard- used to come across it once every two minutes instead of 3 times a minute.
I got you beat...from around the 4th grade onward I asked for a riding lawnmower for xmas. We rented a house on an ACRE lot. As a 10 yr old I had to cut the grass. I could barely pull the cord hard enough to start the lawn mower. I was always informed that a riding lawnmower was not going to happen. "Pick something else." So I asked Santa to make my Mother stop smoking. My Mother found me amusing. I knew I wasn't going to get *SHITGAR." So I used it to voice my grievances.
As soon as I moved out My Mom got an apartment, and in 5 yrs she quit smoking. Some women are spiteful to everyone.

Here's a pic of my electric riding mower as well as electric push mower, trimmers, blowers, etc....EV all the way.
IMG_7288.JPG

@Flybuddy, what runtime do you get on your Ryobi riding mower? Which battery capacity do you have? How large is your lot and how much battery percentage do you use to mow the lawn?

I tried a Hustler Zeon ZTR mower 9 years ago on my 1.25 acre lot. It was just shy of having the runtime to complete the job, which made it extremely frustrating. I traded it in on a Hustler FasTrak mower, but now I'm gun-shy on battery riding mowers now because of that experience. I've been waiting for details the EGO ZTR mower coming next year, but if that comes in too expensive, I've been eyeing the Ryobi ones at Home Depot.

I don’t really understand this talk about large 1ac lawns. My 87 yo father still hand mows his 1 ac lawn, though it’s now much easier for him since I bought him the Ryobi electric mower. We’ve never had riding or self-propelled mowers, or anything wider tha 20”.

I bought an extra battery (mostly for me) so that it could be finished in one day (use up two charges before lunch and one charge after lunch). I expected to be doing the mowing and wanted to be able to finish it quicker. He was so excited about the lightweight mower, easy starting, and not using gasoline that he created a charging setup with Harbor Freight solar panels, inverter, and 12V Pb battery. Now he does all the mowing but often takes two days to mow, just so he can charge on solar. He moves the solar panels around on a little homemade cart to maximize charging on his shady patio. It’s the best thing that I have been able to do to convince him that electric everything is the future (even though he was an Electrical Engineer).

Reactions: JRP3
@Flybuddy, what runtime do you get on your Ryobi riding mower? Which battery capacity do you have? How large is your lot and how much battery percentage do you use to mow the lawn?

I tried a Hustler Zeon ZTR mower 9 years ago on my 1.25 acre lot. It was just shy of having the runtime to complete the job, which made it extremely frustrating. I traded it in on a Hustler FasTrak mower, but now I'm gun-shy on battery riding mowers now because of that experience. I've been waiting for details the EGO ZTR mower coming next year, but if that comes in too expensive, I've been eyeing the Ryobi ones at Home Depot.

I've got 2/3rds of an acre but half is taken up by house. Usually shows close to 3/4 charge after mowing. Not sure if 75AH or 100AH, I've never checked the batteries. Bought it at a Ryobi store as a new blem and it didn't have much paperwork. Owned it close to a year and haven't done anything with it other than plug it in and clean it.

Reactions: swaltner
I’ve had the kobalt 80v mower, weed eater, chainsaw, etc for 3-4years. They are awesome.

old house had a large lawn. New house has tiny lawn. I’ve added the blower and hedge trimmer recently. Very happy with all of it.

usually mow on sundays while listening to RTL Podcast.